It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC Project Throws Exception In Client

John Sawyer (2673) | asked Nov 05 '09, 12:03 p.m.
I created three project areas in RRC. Two were created via the Jazz Admin web interface. The third was created with the RRC client on a remote machine. I can open the third project in the RRC client. The first two throw an exception that reads as follows:

Could not open the editor: An unexpected exception was thrown.

There is the usual spew of exception messages in the detail beginning with:

java.lang.NullPointerException

The only difference in how these projects were created was as noted above: two of them were created via the web interface, the third was created with the RRC client.

One other interesting note: the web interface allows illegal characters in the project area name field, e.g. I initially named the first project "John's New Project" which the web interface happily accepted. When I tried to name the third project "John's Latest Project", the RRC client wouldn't accept the apostrophe. Seems that's something that needs to be addressed in the next round of fixes.

Any ideas on the reason why the web-created projects fail to open in the RRC client would be appreciated.

3 answers

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Nov 08 '09, 10:19 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am going to assume you are using Beta 2 and not Version 1. Let me know if that assumption is incorrect.

Beta2 does not support creating projects via the jazz web admin. Creating a "well-formed" RRC project requires establishing a root folder which the jazz project area creation does not do. However, this has subsequently been fixed, so this will be supported in the final 2.0 product release.

We've also fixed several issues with illegal characters in projects, artifacts and user ids as well as consistency between the rich and web client for the final release.

permanent link
John Sawyer (2673) | answered Nov 09 '09, 10:32 a.m.
I am going to assume you are using Beta 2 and not Version 1.

That is correct.

Beta2 does not support creating projects via the jazz web admin. Creating a "well-formed" RRC project requires establishing a root folder which the jazz project area creation does not do. However, this has subsequently been fixed, so this will be supported in the final 2.0 product release.

We've also fixed several issues with illegal characters in projects, artifacts and user ids as well as consistency between the rich and web client for the final release.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update.

permanent link
Alan Kan (6111310) | answered Nov 30 '09, 7:39 p.m.
Hi I am encountering the same problem with the final RRC 2.0 Release. I created a project on the web interface, and then have trouble viewing in the Eclipse client. I saw the java.lang.NullPointerException message in the client.

And then I archived the project, created a new project using the Eclipes Client. But still see the same error message in this new project. Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks,
Alan Kan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.