It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirement Branching

Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | asked Feb 29 '12, 8:49 a.m.
Hi everybody,

Will there ever be a requirement branching in RRC? One of my customer want to keep different version of the artifact(not in snapshot or history cause there are not eeditable,they are read only artifacts) and edit them at the same time without interacting each others artifact.

The reason to ask this question is that my client is using RRC Project Area as "Application Area". You know that the application lives it self for a long time and projects come up to that application.

The reason to use RRC's workarea as application area is that they have more than 200 projects every year and the design,requirement will be lost in the project areas. But if you keep them under Apllication Area, they will exist forever and people will be able to find a requirement easily.

They may have 4 different projects in one application and during this time, different projects might have to interfere with same requirements. If we have branching in requirements it brings the ability to see every projects requirement by itself and work on it. At the end thay may push the changes to the other copies of the artifact and may do a manuel merge.

As an example project A and B is changing the requirement X. But project B will be release after 1 year and A will be release in 2 week. So the requirement will be changed by both project.

I hope it makes sense. or may be there is some kind of solution that don't know in RRC. Would you help me solve this problem?

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Mar 01 '12, 3:22 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes your scenario makes sense to me.

And yes, we would like to address this in a future release. But we'd like to address it in a way that allows for branching of other related lifecycle artifacts as well (example: what about models that are specific to a particular project and that project's variants of the requirements?).

Until we can solve this larger challenge the best way to do this now seems to be to make copies with links to the original and then manually reconcile them when projects are complete. There are ways you could make use of specific versions of artifacts, but this is hard to manage at large scale.

That's my opinion; I welcome anyone else's (especially if anyone is doing this in a better way today).

permanent link
Grant MacKay (611) | answered Mar 12 '12, 2:58 p.m.
I agree that this would be a great feature. We are trying to develop a holistic view of the requirements by function, but are having difficulty. We have projects that add / change specific functions, but we want to be able to easy capture how things function today without trying to piece together the individual projects that will / have touched a specific function.

permanent link
James Cross (11) | answered Jan 26 '16, 10:13 a.m.
My hope would be that modules could be used for this - you would create a module for each branch and create an instance of the root requirement artifact in each module. This seems like a natural use for modules.

However, while many attributes of the requirement artifact (links, tags etc.) are not shared between its instantiations in different modules, most of the artifact's properties (e.g. Status, Description) are not independent of one another. So you can have the module A version of the requirement that links to artifacts 1,2,3 and the module B version that links to artifacts 4,5,6 - but you can't set to the Status property to 'Met' in module A and 'Not met' in module B. Shame!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.