It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to merge changed file to its new location in different component after it is moved

Sayi Tummalapalli (112) | asked Jul 24 '19, 3:58 p.m.
edited Jul 24 '19, 8:39 p.m.

I have created a new repository  B from A.

I have moved a file x from one component to other using RTC Move In Repository workspace option.
The file x has gone through some change in its original location in A
When we do Merge  using Accept in RTC from A to B, file x contents are not getting merged into its new location. Instead, new file x is created again in its original location in B.
If I repeat the above exercise within same component sub folders, it works.
Is this supported?
Is there any way to get this working across components?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 18 '19, 5:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do believe that this scenario should be supported. See https://jazz.net/library/article/126#How_do_I_move_a_resource_to_another_component .

However, that might be one of the cases, where you need to be careful during parallel development. 
Ideally you want to do the move and have everyone adopt the move before anyone does additional changes to the file. 

If you work in parallel in two configurations 1 and 2 and move in 1 but still do changes in 2 on the files that where moved, I can imagine that the SCM system can not detect the moved files when you try to merge. You would have to correct that.  

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 19 '19, 5:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 19 '19, 7:10 a.m.

When you say "created a new repository B from A", I assume you mean that you have created another RTC repository B, and then you have used distributed delivery to deliver from a workspace/stream in repository A to a workspace/stream in repository B.  

What should happen is that when you accept a pre-move change to the file into a stream with a post-move configuration of the source component, you should get a "deleted-modified" conflict, and then one of the options on that conflict should be "Apply to Other Component ...".   If you select that operation, then you will have to specify the target component (the operation does not compute that for you).   If you are not seeing this, please file a defect to IBM Support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.