It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC source control 'show history' Team menu item not available for directories (only files)

Jim Zarakis (1023) | asked Jul 16 '15, 8:30 p.m.

RTC source control show history Team menu item not available for directories (only shows for files e.g. Project explorer right click menu). To get any quick information about directories requires a change set search.

Any quicker alternatives to search?

Why are directories treated differently from files for this feature?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 17 '15, 1:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC, a version of a directory only contains a pointer to the parent directory and the name of the directory in that parent directory.   So the only time you get a new version of a directory is when you move or rename that directory (and in particular, adding or removing files in that directory do not create new versions of the directory).  I believe what you are looking for is Allow viewing of subset of component history based on directory/subdirectories (66832)

Comments
Jim Zarakis commented Jul 19 '15, 7:48 p.m.

Geoffrey Thank you for your response and information is appreciated. Regardless of directory versioning however, it is still useful to be able to see its history as simply as you would for a file e.g. Try and find the creation date of a directory and who created it (overly complex). I think the link you provided was raised in 2009 (looks abandoned) and I don't think it has been interpreted correctly.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 19 '15, 11:52 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you want to find the creation date and who created a directory, you can use the Eclipse change set search (limit the search to the desired specific directory, and to the "add" operation).   If you also want to see how it as renamed, include the "rename" operation.   It doesn't show you the version tree in graphical form, but it tells you what changes have been made, when, and by whom.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.