It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC Source Control w/ Eclipse client, after loading a rep workspace, .project file is an outgoing pending change. What do I do?

Donna Thomas (14122548) | asked Aug 17 '12, 8:21 a.m.
Hi -

First, take pity because I am just starting with RTC Source Control. Yes, I've read LOTS of things here on jazz.net.  I am very experienced with ClearCase and ClearQuest, and have over 15 years CM experience.

We just started evaluating RTC w/ source control. Most of our files will be controlled via the web client. However our Java developers want to use the Eclipse client. I set up the Streams and Components. When I created (using the Eclipse client) the first repository workspace and loaded it, I accepted the incoming changes. Then there were pending outgoing changes, which only included the ".project" file. Should this file be part of the repository? I was under the impression that it worked user settings like what view was last up, etc.

If it should not be part of the repository, what do I do with the pending change? And will every user need to do this every time, or just once?

Thank you!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Morten Madsen (3053150) | answered Aug 17 '12, 8:27 a.m.
edited Aug 17 '12, 6:34 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Hi Donna,

this is caused by the selection "create eclipse projects for each folder" which is marked by default when you load a workspace. Remember, you basically cannot see anything in Eclipse without it being a "project" (which is defined by the .project file).

It shouldn't harm to check it in, but if you want to get around this, you can:

1. Create an appropriate "project", "java project" or whatever you need, in your local eclipse workspace.
2. right click the component in the "pending changes" view, and select "view repository files". Then you can right click any folder on any level, and select "load" or "load as..", and then choose to load it as a sub-folder of your existing eclipse project already in your eclipse workspace BUT is NOT under RTC source control.

you can also just ignore the .project file (mentally or in the SCM ignore function), it does no harm to your files.

ps. If people are going to work with these files in eclipse, it will be WAY easier to just check in the .project file, but it will look a little ugly for other people not using eclipse.

Donna Thomas selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donna Thomas commented Aug 17 '12, 11:08 a.m.

Hi Morten -

Thanks! I had to read this a few times, but your PS made real sense. I'm looking at this from a real power-user level, so I see everything. But everyone else will only see things that are important to them. The people who use Eclipse won't mind the .project file because they are accustomed to Eclipse projects. Other users will not be in the same streams/components. So, they won't see the .project file, or I can remove it if I create it in Eclipse.

I'm still trying to understand some of the ramifications of the choices presented since I am not a Java developer but must support them.

Thank you for all your help!

Donna

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 17 '12, 12:08 p.m. | edited Aug 17 '12, 6:41 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't see the other answer on this device (vs. my IPad). The options where correct.

But, please be very careful with checking in generated Eclipse project files. Especially if you have eclipse project files in the folder hierarchy below checking them in will block Eclipse users from loading their projects, since Eclipse does not like nested .project files. I typically ignore (put them on the jazz .ignore list ) them, since they are automatically recreated every time. It is easier to remove them form there later if they are really needed, than to delete them from the repository.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 17 '12, 6:52 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

WRT checking in the .project files, I'd suggest the following: - If your users are not using Eclipse as their IDE, but just using it as their RTC source control GUI, then have the project lead create the .project files and check them in. Then all the users can just use the default "find projects to load" load option and don't really have to know or care about .project files. - If your users are using Eclipse as their IDE, then they will also be using the default "find projects to load" option, and the only .project files they will normally see will be ones for new projects they are creating, and those should be checked in, like any other file. So in summary: Normal users should never see auto-generated .project files. If they do, they should talk to their project lead ... either they did something wrong (used the wrong load option), or for the non-Eclipse IDE teams, the project lead forgot to create and checkin the .project file. There are situations where expert users will be playing games with how to load files, but they should know what they are doing, and understand what to do with any auto-generated .project files that might show up.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.