It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are RCR changes stored in DOORS or RTC?

Richard Good (872159) | asked Jul 10 '19, 6:10 a.m.
edited Jul 10 '19, 6:13 a.m.

Hello,

Having an internal conversation without actually having the RCR (requirement change request system between DOORS classic and RTC) system to look at.

I maintain that the changes stored on an RCR are loaded in from RTC on a changeset and nothing is stored in DOORS. The changes are extracted from the changeset on the RCR work item and applied and saved in the DOORS module when the RCR is applied.

My colleague believes there is some sort of DOORS module where the proposed changes are stored.

Can anyone settle the argument please ;-) ?

Cheers Richard

One answer

permanent link
Sudarshan Rao (1963) | answered Jul 10 '19, 10:26 a.m.
The change related data is stored in DOORS database, but not within the module data itself.
Only when the RCR is applied, the changes are committed to the module.

But if the intent of your question is to check if the changes made in DOORS is visible via RCR - yes - that can be seen (DWA renders that info to RTC for display).
That's how it used to be until about a year ago when I last worked on it. Most likely it's still the same..

Comments
Richard Good commented Jul 10 '19, 10:46 a.m.

OK, thanks for your reply, where exactly is it stored? Is it in some surrogate module or invisibly in the database behind the scenes? It always appears to be very slow to load up a module when you operate the RCR system, hence I thought it was doing some complicated operation of loading the RCR data from RTC.

Richard Good commented Jul 11 '19, 3:49 a.m.

I remember this tool when it was connected to synergy change not RTC, maybe 10 years ago. I looked at it quite deeply then, interested here from a recovery standpoint. We have had incidents where an RCR is applied and somehow falls over when applying the change meaning RTC says it is applied, but the change does not appear in DOORS which is a major issue. It would be nice to understand the mechanism for disaster recovery purposes. 

Sudarshan Rao commented Jul 12 '19, 12:21 p.m.

It's not stored in modules, but in database itself.

Right, it can be slow at times depending on few factors like number of changes in a given RCR, number of RCRs associated with module etc. As you might be aware, it's all controlled via triggers and all changes recorded has to be reapplied when the module is opened. 

Please contact support to get past the problem you report - changes not being applied even though RCR shows as Applied. I can't comment on internal workings here, and it's best if it's dealt with the advice of support/development. Technically, state transition of RCR is the very last step of the apply operation, so chances of changes not getting applied should be remote. But if that's happening frequently, please enable debug logging and send that to support - that should help in investigations. 

Richard Good commented Jul 15 '19, 4:30 a.m.

OK, thanks for the information. I was never convinced by the design of this RCR system. I imagined the slowness was due to pulling things over using OSLC. There certainly seems to be some communication in this way. My customer has noticed that applying the RCR system makes the system unusable for our international offices, if there is not much flow from RTC to DOORS I can't understand why that is, performance is acceptable without the RCR system.   

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.