It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there an easier way to move a change set between work items?

Jamie Berry (14013693) | asked Jul 28 '16, 2:20 p.m.
edited Jul 31 '16, 12:02 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
 Hello, we are using RTC 5.0.2 in Eclipse.  I have a user who needed to move a change set from one work item to another. He had the work item open in Eclipse and on the links tab he sees the change set that is associated.  He realizes it is wrong and should be associated with another work item. The context menu for the Change Set in the work item allows you to remove the change set but not associate it with another work item.  We tried to drag and drop the change set and this was not supported either.  It seemed we needed to get the change set opened in Change Explorer to have the option to associate it with a different work item.  Getting to change explorer from the link in a work item wasn't very straight forward either.  Are we missing something or is this just a capability IBM hasn't added to the tool yet?  We are preparing to deploy 6.0.2 and I couldn't find an easier way there either.

Thanks,
Jamie.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 29 '16, 2:47 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 29 '16, 2:48 a.m.
I am helping in the forum since 2008 now and I can not remember ever having seen a request like this.

So, as far as I am aware, that is how it is designed to work. I just looked at it shortly and I think it would be valid to ask for an enhancement request. One relatively simple addition would be to provide a way to open the change set in the Change Explorer from the work item editor (in addition to the change summary) or have a way to navigate from the change summary to the change explorer. The simplest way to get at the change set to be able to relate a different work item I found (Eclipse) is

- On the change set in the Work Items Links view open locate change set
- In the locate change set view open the change set in the change explorer
- Associate a different work item

Feel free to create an enhancement request.
Jamie Berry selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Jul 29 '16, 10:43 a.m.

Thanks Ralph.  I will submit an Enhancement Request.

David Lafreniere commented Jul 31 '16, 12:01 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This enhancement was recently delivered for RTC 6.0.3 Sprint 5 (in

Eclipse Client: More comfortable way to change the Work Item a Change Set is associated with (345282))

That enhancement adds an 'Associate Work Item...' context menu action on change sets in the 'Links" tab of a work item.
This allows you to easily associate a change set to multiple work items if desired; and the existing 'Remove Work Item...' action can be used after if the change sets are no longer needed to be associated to that original work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.