It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating DNG attributes in bulk

Michael Razavi (1516) | asked Jun 04 '19, 8:59 a.m.

I have a customer who is trying to efficiently import requirement data into DNG.  Right now, he's having to create a long list of attributes for each one of the column headers in his CSV/XLS prior to the ingest.  He mentions that creating attributes during the ingest process was a capability in DOORS classic.  I'm pretty certain that there is no way to do this in DNG for security reasons I'm sure; however I was curious if there was a way to create attributes in bulk or is your only option the web interface?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Jun 04 '19, 10:32 a.m.

Hi Michael,

We've run into this too. The best solution I've come up with is to use a text grabbing screen capture tool (we use SnagIt from Techsmith) to capture the values from Excel, then paste them in the Attributes that we create to match the worksheet columns.  It's not elegant but it saves a lot of typing.

Regards,
Carol

Michael Razavi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Razavi commented Jun 04 '19, 12:51 p.m.

Thanks Carol! Forgive my ignorance with SnagIt but what is the advantage over simply cutting and pasting?  Does it hold a lot of values? 

Carol Watson commented Jun 04 '19, 1:16 p.m.

Michael, it's a screen capture tool, but you can selectively choose to "grab the text" from the screen shot.  So what I do is filter the worksheet, then where it lists the values for a column, I screen capture that chunk (you define the capture range with the tool) but set it to "grab text only". That way it captures only those words, which you can then paste in the Add Multiple Values option for the DNG Attribute.  There are demos of it on Techsmith.com. 

We have a lot of values for things like UI Component and they vary by project, so the grab text option comes in very handy.

Good luck!
Carol

Michael Razavi commented Jun 04 '19, 2:09 p.m.

Thank you for the clarification! 

One other answer

permanent link
Hugh Lippincott (199) | answered Jun 10 '19, 3:15 p.m.
My thought is that Excel has many input processing tools including embedded Basic programming.
Also many screen capture/parsing tools allow programming that could output CSV; Then the CSV could be filtered and inspected in Excel before importing, or just import from CSV.

I like the Excel round trip; export;  remove extraneous export record data and modified columns; then inspect/sort and fix, even add an attribute column, and then reimport using ID matching to update old data with new/fixed attributes.

You do have the issue of embedded "comma"s to deal with, but quoting them helps

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.