It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTCi and RDi

Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | asked Nov 02 '09, 7:46 a.m.
I hope there is someone who could help me. I'm new in Jazz and we plan to install RTCi and RDi. Since now we have used IBM's ADM to manage our change and developement system. Now we want do use therefore RTCi and RDi. But we have great troubles to find a useful setup for us.

Since today we have three lines of code:

HOTFIX for troubleshooting
DEVELOPEMENT for new releases
PRODUCTION which includes the SourceCode of
our production System

Which would be best practice to mangage this lines with RTCi and RDi.

Many Thanks for help.

Andreas

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 05 '09, 3:12 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andreas,

I have no experience with RTCi but RTC. My first approach would be to look at the example that ships with RTC. The Squawk project uses two timelines. One is for maintenance of older releases. One is for new development.

The PRODUCTION code could be brought into a stream that belongs to teams working for the maintenance and provide maintenance releases and HOTFIXes. Hotfixes would be created in streams based on a production code or maintenance release baseline. Hotfixes could be planned or have ad hoc teams working for them in own teams. If possible you could integrate default iterations for hotfixes in your maintenance iteration structure. You could also do them unplanned or even create a seperate timeline (and team) for them if they are unplanned as the name suggests.

Other teams would work for the development timeline. They use streams they derived from (a snapshot of) a release of production code to develop the next version.

I am not sure this will work for you but from what I know about RTC I would try to start with two timelines as suggested above and try to gain experience. If it does not work you could easily add one timeline and a team for hot fixes later.

Just some thoughts,

Ralph

I hope there is someone who could help me. I'm new in Jazz and we plan to install RTCi and RDi. Since now we have used IBM's ADM to manage our change and developement system. Now we want do use therefore RTCi and RDi. But we have great troubles to find a useful setup for us.

our production System

Many Thanks for help.

Andreas

permanent link
Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | answered Nov 06 '09, 2:55 a.m.
Hi Raplh,

thank you for your answers. I think this will be the way for our company to start.

Kind regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I have no experience with RTCi but RTC. My first approach would be to look at the example that ships with RTC. The Squawk project uses two timelines. One is for maintenance of older releases. One is for new development.

The PRODUCTION code could be brought into a stream that belongs to teams working for the maintenance and provide maintenance releases and HOTFIXes. Hotfixes would be created in streams based on a production code or maintenance release baseline. Hotfixes could be planned or have ad hoc teams working for them in own teams. If possible you could integrate default iterations for hotfixes in your maintenance iteration structure. You could also do them unplanned or even create a seperate timeline (and team) for them if they are unplanned as the name suggests.

Other teams would work for the development timeline. They use streams they derived from (a snapshot of) a release of production code to develop the next version.

I am not sure this will work for you but from what I know about RTC I would try to start with two timelines as suggested above and try to gain experience. If it does not work you could easily add one timeline and a team for hot fixes later.

Just some thoughts,

Ralph

our production System

Many Thanks for help.

Andreas

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.