It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Potential Impact of Changing Module Types

Amie Norgrove (133) | asked Feb 27 '19, 6:34 a.m.
Hi,

A previous team member used Text as the format for our Requirement Specification modules.

When we moved to 6.0.5, only items with the module format showed up in the create new module drop-down.  We created a new type with the module format, so users could create new modules.

Are there any downsides to switching the old modules with the text format to the new type with the module format? I wouldn't think there would be, as long as the attributes are the same, but we've been surprised by what breaks DNG before.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Amie

2 answers

permanent link
Adrian Haw (2741242) | answered Feb 27 '19, 7:27 a.m.
edited Feb 27 '19, 7:30 a.m.
There is/was an issue with versions of artifact types and consistency of reporting via LQE. If you switch an artifact type you may also lose data because only the values of shared attributes will be retained (any attribute value of the previous type will not be preserved if you change to a new artifact type which does not have that attribute associated with it).
If I were you I would check out the impact on a different server before doing anything in your live system.

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Feb 27 '19, 8:51 a.m.
Make an archive of the project with all the data included.

Restore the archive so you have a compete copy.

Go into the copy and change the artifact type from text to module and see what happens.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.