It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to replace one stream in a component with another stream in Global Configuration Management?

Michael Schiralli (1769) | asked Sep 23 '15, 2:00 p.m.
 I ran into an issue with Configuration management.  Here is the scenario.  I made sure to enable Configuration Management in both the RM and QM projects.  The RM project has two streams that I created and QM only has one stream.  In GCM I created a component.  As you know, once a component is created, it creates an initial stream.  I added both the QM stream as well as RM Stream number 1 to this initial Stream.  Later on, I decided to remove RM Stream Number 1 from the initial GCM stream and then added stream 2.  Now, when I go into RM and then choose the Global Configuration that now reflects Stream 2, I get a message which says:

CRRRS08734W The system has changed your current configuration to the "Mike Config Management (Requirements)" project area configuration.hide details
The global configuration that was your current configuration includes an archived configuration from this project area. The system set your current configuration to the project area configuration.

If you want a different current configuration, switch to it.

If you have unsaved changes, you will a see warning from your browser when you click Ok below. If you want to save your changes, you should click Cancel at the browser warning to save your changes. If you do click Cancel in order to save your changes, you will need to manually re-select the project configuration using the configuration picker to make sure the project configuration is in effect.

I am unable to use this component even though I added RM Stream 2 to this component.  Can you please advise?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tom Poulin (662) | answered Sep 23 '15, 7:22 p.m.
Your expectation of the behavior is correct, but I suspect some covert archiving is going on.

The message seems to indicate that RM Stream Number 2 is archived ("The global configuration that was your current configuration includes an archived configuration from this project area."). Please check this by clicking Manage Configurations from the gear menu, and click the icon to show archived configurations. It was likely archived by somebody else after you added it to the global configuration.

So, from RM's perspective, the correct project area configuration given the global configuration context is RM Stream Number 2. However, RM can't use it because it has been archived. Instead, it uses the default stream for the project area since that's the best it can do, and warns you about the switcheroo. I bet if you un-archive RM Stream Number 2, all will work as you expected. 

If this is not the case, then I'll need further information. Please provide which release and milestone/build you're using and verify that both RM streams are in the same project area.
Michael Schiralli selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Schiralli commented Sep 24 '15, 9:45 a.m.

Thank you for your response, Tom.  I think the problem was that I archived the parent of this stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.