It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I automatically create Story Cards in RTC from a collection of Stories in RRC?

Raul Ortiz (132) | asked Nov 19 '18, 4:30 p.m.

I read that the RRC and RTC integration is best when the RTC team uses Work Item/Development Plans in RTC. This is supposed to provide the ability to auto populate Story Cards from RRC collections. I create Stories in RRC but wonder if I need permissions to create a plan or assign to a Team. Any suggestions?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Reed (126516) | answered Nov 19 '18, 5:27 p.m.

Hi Raul,

Here is the typical order of progression but please keep in mind that I'm currently on v6.0.6 so there will likely be some differences since you are referring to Rational Requirements Composer instead of it's new name of DOORS Next Generation. However, having said that, I believe the basic functionality is essentially the same...if I remember correctly.

First, you create your collection in RRC and save it with all the requirements or business needs or whatever you are calling your artifacts in RRC that you want to have match up with a Story in RTC.

Once you have that collection saved you go to the Sprint Backlog (or Product Backlog) plan you intend to populate with them. Within that Plan you select the Links tab (just to the right of Planned Items).

Within the Links tab you select to Add Link and then Implements Requirement Collection. This should bring up an Add Link dialogue that will allow you to use a connection that already exists and then to either link to an existing Collection or to create a new Collection. You select to use an existing collection which will then take you to the Artifact Folder view. You should be able to find and add the collection there. Just select OK when you find it.

Once you do that you will then see a Link Type of Implements Requirement Collection and under that a list of collections you have linked. If you expand that collection it will load the requirements and let you know if there are already Implemented By links associated with any of them.

If you are going to be creating all new Stories for each of the requirements in the collection you would need to select the icon to the left of the collection name with a yellow plus (+) sign at the top right corner. That is the "Create Work Items from Requirements" action. You will then have the ability to select which requirements you want to create work items for, to select all of them, or to select only the ones that don't already have a work item associated.

A couple of things to keep in mind. First, the name of the requirement will be the name of the work item unless you go through and create each work item individually which defeats the purpose. The other thing is that it will take some time to perform the initial load of the requirements as well as to create the work items so don't be too concerned.

I hope that is helpful.

-michael

Raul Ortiz selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Raul Ortiz commented Nov 20 '18, 11:15 a.m.

Michael,

thank you very much for your detailed answer. I followed it to the letter and got the responses that you said I would. I did not complete the assignment to a Plan because there was not one out there for my specific project. But if there was, would it have generated the requirements as story cards in RTC since I added the collection as a list of Story artifacts in RRC? I am the first one to be using RRC and RTC integration and appreciate any time you give to this question. Hoping you have a nice Thanksgiving. I am grateful and give thanks that you took the time to answer my question.

Raul

Raul Ortiz commented Nov 20 '18, 11:18 a.m.

...meant to say the first one at my company.....

Michael Reed commented Nov 20 '18, 11:23 a.m.
Hi Raul,

Yes, if you complete the steps you would end up with new Story work items in RTC that match each of the selected/linked requirements once you complete the "Create Work Items from Requirements" action. It will also provide the links for each to their respective requirement so the traceability can be established.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-michael

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.