It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG - Prevent editing of certain artifacts in module

Sean F (1.3k251161) | asked Sep 12 '18, 9:59 a.m.
edited Sep 12 '18, 10:01 a.m.
There are various ways I can think for preventing artifacts, say X,Y and Z in a module from being edited.

1. use team ownership Team A to control artifacts X, Y, Z
2. move artifacts X Y Z into a different folder from the default module artifacts folder and set team ownership on that folder
3. individually lock artifacts X Y Z

In theory I was thinking team ownership (1) is better than locks
I liked the idea of the folder (2) as it makes it easier to administer since only the folder needs the team ownership and artifacts can be moved in and out of the folder to change their access level
But when I do it the module behaves oddly.
If someone not in Team A creates an artifact in the module it appears but is not editable.

I am also finding that team ownership inheritance behaviour is not as reliable or predictable when it comes to granular controls as it was in DOORS Classic.
I am thinking the locks approach (3) might be simpler and more reliable than the team ownership approach

Any thoughts from anybody about granular access controls in module hierarchies?

2 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813674) | answered Sep 12 '18, 10:34 a.m.

Sean,

Have you looked at workflow?  or what is the business reason (not that changes the function?)

Blog I found which may or may not help.

http://ukhazel.com/wp/doors-next-gen-access-control-workarounds/

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k251161) | answered Sep 12 '18, 11:44 a.m.
^Thanks Matt.

Yes workflows would be a possibility.

At this stage I am looking for the simplest way to reliably restrict access to certain artifacts within a module of artifacts.

The module will be a kind of 'template' that will be instantiated at the start of a project and the users can add new requirements into the tree structure but should not be able edit existing requirements.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.