It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG - Copy paste special to create links actually creates 2 links

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Aug 29 '18, 1:38 p.m.
edited Aug 29 '18, 1:39 p.m.

I have a module ModA with some headings and requirements

I want to duplicate the headings and requirements into another module ModB and also create a link back from each requirement to its original.

I do this by selecting all the ModA artifacts and selecting 'copy'

I then go into ModB and choose 'paste special' for a target object which brings up the dialog to copy and link.

I choose 
1. 'After this artifact'
2. Copy links - not checked
3. Link Pasted and original artifacts - Create link - Link To
4. Duplicate all artifacts

I successfully copies all the artifacts but it creates 2 links between each object and its original.

One link is Module Context to Module Context
The second link is Base artifact to Base artifact.

Is this is a bug?

Is there any workaround link fix such as a script to batch delete all Base Artifact or Module Context links in a module or for a selection?

Batch deletion of links does not seem to be a core feature in DNG.

5 answers

permanent link
Softacus AG (2013) | answered Aug 30 '18, 2:49 p.m.

You can open bug here 

I also tried and thing get the problem. 

2 years ago we have created script which copy artifactID to attribute. We would have to enhance this script into 'moduleID.artifactID'
When you run such script you can then duplicate module and then use link by attribute. This should link original with copied objects within new module. 

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Aug 29 '18, 1:46 p.m.

I think more explicit control over whether base artifact or module context links are to be used in all the various link creation actions within a given project or module should be a project or module level option - as the current behaviour seems to be a somewhat unpredictable mixture of the 2.

permanent link
Softacus AG (2013) | answered Aug 29 '18, 2:43 p.m.

We believe this will help. Find ModA in folder and in drop down choose Duplicate. Then follow and choose right option

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Aug 30 '18, 9:47 a.m.

^Thanks

When I use 'Duplicate' against the whole module I get the option to link back to the original artifact but it is a single link from the new module to the old module.

This is the same result as copy/paste special against the whole module which I had already tried.

The only way I think to get each artifact copy in ModB linked back to its original version in ModA is to select all the artifacts in ModA then copy then paste special into ModB (there needs to be at least one single target object in ModB already).

But then each artifact always end up with 2 links. I have tried with standard and custom link types.

I can avoid the 2 links by copying all the artifacts from the base artifacts folder but of course the new artifacts appear in a random order in the new module and with no hierarchy in that case.

I guess this is a bug. I tried to register to submit the bug at

But it seems you need an IBM Customer Number ICN to submit bug reports.

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Aug 30 '18, 3:42 p.m.

^Thanks for the bug submission link. I will give it a try.

Yes I guess an RM Extension would be a solution.

Would be nice to have some of these features in the tool but I am sure they will be implemented eventually..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.