It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is a snapshot preserved when the stream's components are replaced ?

Tammy Parker (36) | asked Aug 08 '18, 7:39 p.m.

If we have a stream that has no snapshots on it ( has components of a given baseline copied from another stream ) and we were to take a snapshot on the stream and then replace the components again to get a different/newer baseline, would the snapshot be preserved or userful ?  Or, would replacing the components render the snapshot useless?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 09 '18, 5:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Tammy,

my 2 cents: A snapshot collects the baselines for component in a stream or repository workspace (baselines are created if needed). It has to be stored somewhere. you set a stream as owner. Regardless which owner you use the snapshot stores the snapshot, it can be used to recreate the configuration it stores. 

Tammy Parker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tammy Parker commented Aug 09 '18, 9:57 a.m. | edited Aug 16 '18, 10:27 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for the reply.

After posting this question and before your reply, I tried this scenario --

1. I created a stream test4tammy with the aa component from stream GAstream
2. I created a stream snapshot on test4tammy, gm-snapshot (baseline on the aa component did not change)
3. I replaced the aa component with the one from stream FPstream
4. I created a snapshot on the test4tammy stream, FPstream-latest (baseline on the aa component changed to FPstream-latest)
5. I did a compare between the 2 snapshots and see the list of changes between them

I had been concerned that replacing the components of the test4tammy stream might affect the initial snapshot but this test confirmed that it did not.

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 16 '18, 10:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 16 '18, 10:01 p.m.

Just to be extra clear, the configuration (set of versions) selected by a snapshot is immutable (cannot be changed).   Any subsequent changes to the stream or workshop from which that snapshot was created has no effect on the snapshot.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.