It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Make this artifact type a preferred artifact type

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Jul 31 '18, 1:04 p.m.
retagged Sep 21 '18, 1:53 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

When creating an artifact type in DNG there is an option:-

'Make this artifact type a preferred artifact type'

The documentation does not seem to make any reference to this option.

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_create_artifact_type.html&scope=null

What is this option supposed to do?

Accepted answer

permanent link
My-An Nguyen (2963) | answered Jul 31 '18, 1:53 p.m.
edited Jul 31 '18, 2:42 p.m.

When your project has many artifact types, but you only have a handful that you use often, you can set those as "preferred artifact type".

The result is that when you are in the folder view, the blue "Create" button in the top-left will present, by default, only the preferred artifact types that you set. The other types will be tucked away in the "Other..." option, should you need them.

You can do the same thing for the module context. When you create an artifact type that you set the "Default artifact format:" as "Module", a new section called "Preferred Module Content" will appear where you can set up your preferred heading artifact types and row artifact types. Then, when you go into a module of that type that you configured, the top-left blue "Create" button will have those preferred artifact types shown by default.

Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Jul 31 '18, 2:41 p.m.

Hi Sean,

Making Artifact Types "preferred" moves them to the top of the list of choices, as in when you Create an artifact via the Create button.

Adding Preferred Link types to an Artifact Type is especially helpful if you create your own Link types, since there are so many OTB link types.

We also use an Artifact Type = Supporting Document. Since those are always Uploaded artifacts in our case, we make that Artifact Type a "preferred upload option".  When you choose to Upload an Artifact, it defaults the Artifact Type to Supporting Document.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Carol

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Jul 31 '18, 2:58 p.m.
^
^^
Thanks.
It was the Blue Button thing that I did not get.
I was using the normal 'create' dialog from the pencil menu and not seeing my 'preferred artifacts' at the top of the list.
But I see they are the only ones that appear on the blue Create Button drop down.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.