It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG - Allow access to edit specific attribute on specific artifact type

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Sep 27 '18, 9:05 a.m.
retagged Oct 01 '18, 12:43 p.m. by Michael Afshar (7014)
We would like to configure DNG such that only one attribute AttribA on a certain artifact type ArtifactX can be edited by certain users.

I thought this could be achieved by defining a certain role for those users and then using the Permissions feature to assign edit access to only that one attribute on that artifact.

But closer exploration seems to reveal that permissions are only definable down to the level of the artifact as a whole rather than specific attributes on specific artifacts.

DOORS Classic had the access controls definable down to the more granular attribute level I think.

Is this not possible in DNG then or have I overlooked a way of doing it?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Sep 27 '18, 9:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello
I am not 100% positive but I think for permissions to be more granular without workflows I think you needed to have explored team areas as described in this topic: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_permissions.html
There is a table near the top called Permission classes. The team configuration class of permissions includes this 'Modify artifacts by attribute'.
Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean F commented Sep 28 '18, 8:35 a.m.
Thanks Rosa.

I did a bit more experimentation with teams and you are right, using teams also unlocks the granular access controls.

It still seems strange that they are not available unless either teams or workflows is enabled but, anyway, that seems to solve the problem as teams is a better solution than workflows.

2 other answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Sep 27 '18, 9:29 a.m.
It is OK I think I just discovered by further experimentation that by applying a workflow this then gives access to a much more granular access control schema where specific attributes can be controlled for specific roles during specific workflow states.

It seems odd that you have to apply a workflow in order to unlock this dimension of the permissions schema.

permanent link
Softacus AG (2013) | answered Sep 27 '18, 1:46 p.m.

We were able to restrict following property in permissions.

Modify the Priority attribute for System Requirement Artifact in AMR Demo content.
Is this what you are looking for? 

Comments
Sean F commented Sep 28 '18, 8:36 a.m.
Thanks.

Enabling either teams or workflows does seem to allow this granular access control.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.