It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Link Constraints feature not working for Custom created link types across PA in DNG 6.0.2 version

Hitha Mudalagiri (1112) | asked Oct 06 '16, 12:53 a.m.
retagged Jan 30 '18, 7:38 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hello,
I encountered that "Link Constraints" for 'Custom link types' work only within the scope of Project Area, and not across the different project area's in Doors Next Generation 6.0.2 version.
Can anyone explain why?

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Oct 06 '16, 9:55 p.m.
It really depends on how you configure the Link Constraints. If you specify an artifact type for both the source artifact and the target artifact, the specified link type will be limited to the current project area only. If you need the rule to apply across project areas, either the source or the target has to be ANY. The document actually clearly states this.
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.2/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_link_constraints.html

One critical concept that you need to understand is that, artifact types with the same name in different project areas are actually _different_ types. For example, "Feature" in project A is not the same as "Feature" in project B. This implies that, you cannot set a link constraint such that a specific artifact type can only link to another specific artifact type in the other project, at least for now.

A second thing to note is that while ANY allows cross-project links, it also allows linking to _any_ artifact types within the same project area.

And lastly, less restrictive rules override restrictive rules. For example, if there are three rules - "Feature > Child Of > ANY", "Feature > Parent Of > ANY" and "Feature > Child Of > Feature", then the last one has no effect.

Comments
Hitha Mudalagiri commented Oct 07 '16, 10:40 a.m.

Thanks for the information. As you said cross project linking works fine for system defined link types (if link constraints are set to “Any”), but if I create my own custom link type and use the link constraint in the same way as used for system defined link types, it does not work.

So here my question is more specific to Custom Link types, not system defined link types.Have you came across this scenario?. Thanks!

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Oct 07 '16, 6:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There was work done on this in 603, and I believe this should be working as you expect in 603.

Comments
Adrian Haw commented Mar 27 '17, 8:03 a.m.

Does this mean that in 6.0.3 we can use link constraints cross-project in a GC as per intern in a project (I assume RDF URI will be used to map contraints also x-project)?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.