It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to keep Primary Text (Content), Name and Description in sync

Danny Beerens (801827) | asked Jul 18 '18, 7:38 a.m.

Is there a configuration [preferred], or Add-On, that would allow the Primary Text (aka Content), Name (aka Title) and Description synchronized?

Background
When you create a new Requirement from within a Module, you edit the Primary Text (aka Content). In the background Primary Text is copied to Name (aka Title) and Description, but only then is my experience.
When users start to maintain their requirements from within their Modules, they change the Primary Text.
Links shown in Link Columns, show ID and Name, but when the Primary Text is changed this is not reflected in the shown Link and that is very confusing to users.

Comments
Danny Beerens commented Jul 18 '18, 7:41 a.m. | edited Jul 18 '18, 7:41 a.m.

I know there's a difference in the type of text that is stored in either of these 3 fields that prevents images, bullet lists and other rich text formatting to be copied to Name and Description.

But still, if this copy/sync option, is performed during the creation of a requirement, can this feature be extended (as a configuration option) during any update of the Primary Text? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Clark (2341150) | answered Jul 18 '18, 9:12 a.m.

The short answer is - no. Sorry.

Please read: syncing fields

David

Danny Beerens selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Danny Beerens commented Jul 18 '18, 10:39 a.m.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reference to your answered question!

Tl;dr: Create a java script to clear the Name field, so RDNG will automatically correct it with the first 254 characters(!) of Primary Text (i.e. Full Text) using RMExtention.

By any chance, can I have a copy of your script?!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.