It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG Artifact / Requirement reuse using Components V6.0.6

Matt Muller (59813574) | asked Jun 21 '18, 10:47 a.m.
edited Jun 21 '18, 11:02 a.m.

Hello,

Can anyone help or provide guidance or link to information about using DNG with Components to re-use content.

I'm on 6.0.6 (IBM Sandbox) DNG using components - all in the same Project Area.

For example.

> DNG Component "Common" containing a "Module and Rqmts Artifacts" which are MASTER there....

> DNG Component "System" - which I want to us the content of "common" as a reference copy.

I want to store the "Common" artifacts somewhere and share / reference these on other components;  I'm not thought of the details of the Change yet but will need to consider this.  Maybe Link Validity - however my simple testing is not linking anything so that changes the use case! anyway. so far

You can copy a module and Clone a module.  The "Clone" doesn't seem to give you a slave version which is protected?  and what is confusing me even more is that the ID's are the same - Artifact has the same ID but exist in different components and are independent?  I can edit either - even with locking applied.

Does anyone have any usage about re-use within the same PA using Components or Re-use Across PA using Components.  Thanks for your help.

Matt Muller

One answer

permanent link
Don Cooper (16211) | answered Oct 24 '18, 2:53 a.m.
edited Oct 25 '18, 4:22 a.m.
Hi Matt,

The current configuration state (version) of an artifact is calculated as the configuration state of the base artifact plus all the change sets up to any given point in time.

When you copy an artifact you are creating a new artifact which will get a new UUID (Internal ID).

When you clone an artifact, you are creating a new version of the existing, so the UUID doesn't change. The configuration state is calculated from the base artifact plus all the change sets applied to it up to the point you cloned it. When you work on it in the target component the scope of the change sets is that component so the configuration state for the target component will be different than that of the source component. Same base artifact but with different change sets applied to them to come up with the current version for that component. That's why no locking is needed.

This is also why you'll get component skew if you have clones in a GC. You could end up with different versions of the same artifact.

Once you clone what you need, in order to reference/link between components you need to ensure both components have the link type defined that you want to use and they both have the same URI. Then you have to define the link constraint essentially giving one component "permission" to link across component boundaries.

Don

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.