It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to deploy DSX file with RPE template in RDNG

Dmitry A. Lesin (24625796) | asked May 25 '18, 3:38 p.m.
retagged Jan 25 '19, 7:02 a.m. by Minakshi Jaint (5113)

Hello!

Developing a template with Rational Publishing Engine I used DSX specification file where a DOT file was linked to generated headers and footers per each page. Could somebody help me to understand whether it's possible to deploy the template to Rational DOORS Next Generation v6.0.5 with DSX file and use the styles from linked DOT file?
The problem is that there's a help page that describes it for Rational Team Concert:

But deployment of report to RDNG is a manual way. And I can not find where DSX file can be put to be used.
Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Chuba Arah (1563) | answered May 25 '18, 5:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You cannot use document specification (.dsx) files in DOORS Next Generation (DNG). DNG only takes a .dta file and a temporary .dsx file is generated by the server during the document generation process based on the configuration of the template. This is different from how Rational Quality Manager (RQM) and Rational Team Concert (RTC) work with RPE templates and specifications.

This is why RPE templates have to be written in a specific way for DNG. Most notably, all data sources aside from the main data source in the template must be prefixed with an underscore e.g. _text in order for document generation to be successful. For more information on this, see the topics below:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RRCCustomRRDGReportsConfigurations
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RRCCustomRRDGReportsWalkthrough

For the complete procedure for using RPE template (.dta) files in DNG, see the Manually importing custom document-style report templates for requirements management section in Making document-style reports available to viewers or review the information in Deploying templates in RRC/DNG.

Dmitry A. Lesin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dmitry A. Lesin commented Jun 11 '18, 4:25 a.m. | edited Jun 11 '18, 4:29 a.m.

Hi Chuba,
There are several good answers for this topic but I can point one only. This one is most detailed so I will define it as an answered one.
My main problem was that Word file wasn't working together with RPE template because I deployed DOT file instead of DOC. Making an inspective glance to the articles by provided links, I found this my failure.
Anyway, thanks to everybody for help!

2 other answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k239143) | answered May 25 '18, 4:10 p.m.
It is a good question.

I think the product could be improved if you could associate a default stylesheet DOC/DOT with a template DTA.

99% of the time there will be only one stylesheet that belongs with any given DTA so specifying it separately in every DSX is kind of redundant I think when it could be specified once in the DTA.

The default stylesheet in the DTA could always be overidden by a different stylesheet specified in the DSX if desired for DSX doc generation.

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k14) | answered May 26 '18, 12:51 a.m.

Of course, you can use Word stylesheet (.doc file in server\conf\rm\reporting\initialization\templates\Word folder) with your RPE template while deploying RPE template in RDNG. However, you cannot use .dsx file in RDNG (as opposed to RTC and RQM, where we can upload .dsx file along with .dta file). Rather, the stylesheet must have the same name as RPE template so that they are linked.
You can refer https://rpeactual.com/2014/07/17/deploying-templates-in-rrcdng

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.