It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is Work Item Promotion ?

Amit Ghatge (1910) | asked May 08 '18, 12:13 a.m.

I saw a term called Work Item Promotion. So what is Work Item Promotion ? and Why do we do work item promotion ?. I went through jazz pages but it made too complex for me to understand. So anyone can explain me what is it in a easy way

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 08 '18, 12:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

First of all, this feature is an "Enterprise Extension", which means it is only for mainframes like the IBM Z series machine.

On mainframes, for various reasons, it is common practice to "promote" derived files (files like object code and binaries built by a build tool), rather than just rebuild them (which is what is done in most/all builds for non-mainframe systems).
What work item promotion does is let you "promote" the derived files that are associated with the change sets that are linked to a given work item.
If you are a mainframe user, this will probably be obvious, and if you are not, you probably have no idea what this is talking about (:-).

Amit Ghatge selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.