It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Will IBM upgrade to Dojo 2 or switch to another framework

Lukas Steiger (3131628) | asked Mar 31 '18, 2:10 p.m.
edited Mar 31 '18, 2:13 p.m.

Dear Jazz Team,

I as an extension developer for Jazz am very interested in what your future plans are in terms of JavaScript libraries that you will be using in the future. The last notable change was switching to Dojo 1.8 which has been released five years ago. That is a long time, especially when it comes to the extremely fast moving JS world. When I develop extensions, We have always tried to stick as close as possible to the frameworks bundled with the product (Dojo 1.8), in order to reduce the overhead produced by the extension. In one of our recent projects (Work Item Bulk Mover), we have used Vue.js to overcome the difficulties that exist with Dojo, but the integration into the Jazz ecosystem was really challenging (the details of that are beyond this question). 

Dojo 2 has just reached Release Candidate 2 this week and from looking at it, I can say that it is quite promising and it seems to be able to compete with other major modern JavaScript frameworks that are out there. In addition, we will be starting a new promising project next month where I would like to give it a try. but as mentioned above, we want to limit the number of libraries used in our extensions to the least amount possible. This allows us to have a small and homogeneous footprint.

This leads me to my question: What is IBM's strategy for Jazz in terms of a the primary JavaScript framework bundled as part of the product? Will you stick with legacy Dojo 1? Will you migrate step by step to Dojo 2? Are you about to migrate to another Library/framework like the one used in the new QuickPlanner? 
I'm quite sure you must have one, because the outmoded Web UI is from my opinion one key point why one would choose a competing product like Jira or GitLab over RTC.

Looking forward for some news and probably interesting discussions :-)

Cheers and Best Regards
Lukas Steiger
Co-founder of jazz-community.org

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.