It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How many ways we can integrate custom tool to Rational CLM?

Manjunath Sudnye (825) | asked Feb 18 '15, 3:32 a.m.
My team finalized Three rational tools RQM,RTC & DNG for our CLM project, and we want to know, how many ways we can integrate this tools with each other, considering in mind that tomorrow there would be a requirement that some custom tool (it may be Web Based/Desktop Based) need to integrate with our CLM.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 18 '15, 3:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This question is impossible to answer.

Manjunath Sudnye commented Feb 18 '15, 3:51 a.m.

do you mean there is no way to integrate any custom tool to Rational CLM? Correct me if I’m wrong, I suppose, we can integrate custom tool to Rational CLM with the help of some wrapper around the custom tool  or some Bridge/Adaptor in between so that they can communicate.
I hope now you will get what I want to ask by this. :)
!

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 18 '15, 3:57 a.m.

No, but the number of ways to integrate some tools can be huge, based on the use case and there are so many possible tools out there, that it makes no sense to even start speculating.

Manjunath Sudnye commented Feb 18 '15, 4:28 a.m.

Thanks for your valuable comments, we just wanted to evaluate the number of ways we can integrate a custom tool with Rational tools (e.g. take RTC). We know OSLC is the best one, but is there any other ways that you think ?

in short, can we integrate RTC with custom tool apart form OSLC? If Yes, Please let us know.

Thanks in Advance !!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.0k33645) | answered Feb 18 '15, 4:45 a.m.
edited Feb 18 '15, 5:02 a.m.
The simple answer - that does not answer anything at all - is yes.

The question would be what type of tool and/or integration are you talking about? What does it do, what data does it produce, where and how does it store its data, how is that data accessible, what platform does it run on, which means to communicate does it have, how does the data interact with CLM, does it even need to interact with the other tools? If so on which level, client or server? (And so forth).

See https://jazz.net/extend/integrations/ for a subset of the current integrations.

Client Integrations (e.g. source control) can be done in Eclipse, you can use the API's and the SCM commandline e.g. to integrate versioning or use the Windows shell integration; MSSCCI integration or Visual Studio. You can use the API to e.g. create work items, you can create REST/OSLC to create other artifacts.
Server integrations can be done using OSLC/REST and other API's (including client API*s), Synchronizers or other means dependent on the scenario. You can use hyperlinks or attributes to store data, you can use the HTTP filtered value set to access data.

Yes, companies, customers, partners and competitors have created wrappers around tools to integrate.

Again, this is as good as I can answer this question, as the scope of the question is just infinite. The other answer that comes into mind is "42" 8)

Manjunath Sudnye selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.