It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can you change project template from Scrum to Safe 4.5

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Mar 28 '18, 9:30 a.m.

We 're using Jazz v605 and have numberous project areas configured using the Scrum process template.   We are starting a transition to go to SAFe.  We currently have Safe 3, 4 and now 4.5 templates imported. Safe 4.5 templates were gotten from IBM developer works  but it appears whoever is managing the forum has taken a hiatus as I've requested joining the community a number of times and even posted  a question to the forum somehow but to to no avail.

My question is  can you retrofit an existing Scrum based project area to use the Safe 4.5 process template?
In looking at the IBM docs on "Configuring SAFe vX.X in CLM.pdf" docs, the Safe 4.5 doc refer you to Safe 3.0 doc.
The Safe 3.0 doc does go into specifics on modifying an exist Scrum project but the 4.5 docs don't. 

It is not clear whether the same can be done to retrofit a project using Scrum to Safe 4.5.  

2 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Mar 28 '18, 9:56 a.m.

You can't pull a process specification from underneath a project and replace it with something else. 

Workitem types, attributes, enumerations and a lot of other stuff might not exist in the new process template, which would make your existing data unusable.

From practical point of view, I would create a new SAFe project for each Scrum project being transitioned, and then link the old data (notably, workitems) to the data in the newly-created SAFe project.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Mar 28 '18, 10:17 a.m.

If you look at the safe 3.0 doc at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/groups/service/html/communityview?communityUuid=c914709e-8097-4537-92ef-8982fc416138#fullpageWidgetId=Wedf911c66e55_4a99_b89e_1bbdb89a7919&file=82cb5dbf-46ec-45d3-aeca-2b206a3ec3fb

It appears to differ from your reply however it is not clear from the Safe4.5 docs whether it still holds true.  

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 29 '18, 2:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Piotr is correct. The document to refer to guides you trough manual steps that changes the Scrum process and adjusts it to SAFe. That is pretty much re-doing what has been done to the Scrum Template to change it to SAFe.

This only works because the Scrum Template has been used to develop SAFe. So what you would have to do is manually do all the changes to the Project areas you want to bring over to SAFe - assuming you have working instruction to do so with 4.5.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 03 '18, 12:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

My understanding is that there is nothing special about the Safe templates ... they are all the result of customizations that you can do yourself to your project areas.   Doing so for the Safe 3.0 is documented in full detail in the page Norman referenced.   I am guessing Amy didn't have time to upgrade that document for the later versions of the Safe template, so you would need to do those upgrades yourself (following the kinds of steps described in the Safe 3.0 upgrade document).   It would be reasonable to submit an RFE requesting either an update to that document, or a document describing how to modify your Safe X.Y project area to be Safe X.Y+1 or Safe X+1.0.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.