It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to access the field where the comment is inserted when using the plan attribute "Blocked"?

Kim Williams (56136) | asked Mar 28 '18, 7:37 a.m.

I would like to create a tree view in a plan that shows when a work item is blocked and include the comment of why it is blocked in that view as a column.  I know how to create the view, how to color the work item entry based on whether or not it is blocked.  I don't know how to get the comment of why it is blocked into the view as a column.  Is there a way to do this?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 29 '18, 4:36 a.m.

If not in a plan, how do you locate the comment?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Apr 06 '18, 1:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 06 '18, 1:56 a.m.

I don't think there is a way to do that in the planning component.

If you want to get creative, you could add a string attribute and use a follow up action to pull the blocking comment out and put it into the string, if there actually is a way to do that. I am not sure that there is any rule that you have to add a comment to a blocking work item and there likely is no way to identify such a comment.

Kim Williams selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kim Williams commented Apr 06 '18, 7:34 a.m.

There should be :-)

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 06 '18, 7:50 a.m.

I think you underestimate the complexity of what you are asking for. I don't even know if there is a built in pre condition that would allow to prevent blocking the work item without a comment. You don't say how the work item gets blocked. If that is due to a relationship, I am certain there is nothing built in. I am also pretty sure if you block a work item using the attribute, there is not.

The planning component does not have any way to customize showing individual comments either.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 06 '18, 8:02 a.m.

The biggest problem is you ask for information for an implementation you dream up.

If the requirement is to have a Why Blocking Text required, there might be customization solutions. It all depends on the details, what blocking means and what you are willing to accept. E.g. rather a text attribute for the blocking text than a comment, which is also easier for reporting.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 06 '18, 9:14 a.m. | edited Apr 06 '18, 9:16 a.m.

I am sorry, I forgot the blocked in the subject.

So what would be doable is
1. Create a text/html attribute "blocking comment"
2. Create a (Java Script) condition that makes the new attribute "blocking comment" required on condition if the blocking attribute is checked

Check if it is possible to show such an attribute "blocking comment" in the plan.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.