It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM: Provision to repeat test case few times

Parameswaran V (10018) | asked Mar 23 '18, 2:22 p.m.

The use case is, during manual testing i want to repeat the same test case for 5 times.

Right now, we are doing it by adding the same test case as part of a suite and executing the suite. Doing so we execute 5 test cases - though all are simillar.

Is this the only means or are there other simpler means for repeating a test.?

Note: In case of Automated scripts - hopefully using command line, we need to write  a custom logic to repeat the same test case multiple times. please do suggest otherwise.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Barbour (250323) | answered Mar 23 '18, 5:00 p.m.
edited Mar 23 '18, 5:22 p.m.

You might consider looking into using Test Data

(see https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_using_datapool.html)

At least for 'Manual Scripts' you can attaching a .csv test data file to a Test Script and by populating the content of the .csv file (the number of rows with data) you can change the number of times the script is executed.

For example - a very simple .csv to run a script 6 times would be:
"Test Run:STRING
6"

The test results will then contain the data from each repetition (example in the screen shot below - unless this gets edited away to save forum space)
"Interestingly" I could not find a way to remove the test data from a Test Script once it was attached (I'm on RQM 6.0.5 with iFix002).  Fortunately I tried this in a project on a 'throw away' VM snapshot.  Deleting the Test Data itself was possible - but not the association in the test script.  Once the Test Data item was deleted the test script still ran as it did before with no test data attached (i.e. 1 time) so it didn't harm anything...but annoying nonetheless (just something to be aware of).

Parameswaran V selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Parameswaran V commented Jul 17 '18, 1:44 p.m.

Thank you Daniel. It worked this way very well - and this is a lot simpler for managing tests than what i did in past.

Also, the  issue that you mentioned at the fag end is not seen in the current version that i am using in jazz.net (6.0.6). Probably got fixed in meanwhile i guess.

Regards,
Param

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.