It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to load DNG widget catalog

Marko Tomljenovic (31645109) | asked Feb 21 '18, 3:29 p.m.

Hello,

I have downloaded the example widget catalog provided here: https://jazz.net/wiki/pub/Main/RMExtensionsExamples604/extensions.zip

After making this catalog accessible via our intranet infrastructure I have configured DNG to use this catalog.
Since the widgets did not show up I looked at the logs.
There I could find the following:

Unable to load catalog: ... Respose status: HTTP/1.1 406 Not Acceptable

How can I now find out what the problem is?
Any ideas?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 06 '18, 11:20 p.m.

What exact URL do you use? Does it open in a browser? The catalog is basically static content, and I can't image how you can get an HTTP 406 error.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 12 '18, 4:30 p.m.

The file opens just fine in the browser. 

The URL is 
https://www.intranet.....com/.../...alm_opensocialgadgets/dng/DNG_6.0.4_IBM_Examples/WidgetCatalog.xml

Donald Nong commented Mar 12 '18, 9:49 p.m.

You may need to consider what Stefan said. The HTTP 406 error is returned by the server hosting the widget catalog, and it may not accept what the DNG server sends out in the "Accept" header.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 13 '18, 3:23 a.m.

Is there any "debug" setting available on the DNG server side so that I can really protocol what mime type exactly is requested by DNG so that I can talk to our intranet web space provider.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 13 '18, 3:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Your server provider should be able to trace what comes in, Marko. Otherwise you can try to use the developer tools of your browser for network tracing and have a look at the requests.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 13 '18, 3:40 a.m.

This is what I am already trying anyway but I am not sure if my server provider can easily track it down since this "server" is the whole intranet of my company and I just got some web space on it.

The more information I have the easier the discussion with my intranet server provider will be.

Regarding your developer tools proposal, I cannot use this since the DNG server is trying to access the catalog and not the client side browser.
I have no problem at all installing open social gadgets from the very same server. Only the widget catalog is making problems.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 13 '18, 3:45 a.m.

There are network trace tools that you can install on servers that can trace the communication. I have no real experience with them.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 13 '18, 3:48 a.m.

I know, thanks. The question is only whether I am allowed to set it up on the DNG server. 

My hope is still that somebody from IBM can simply check the implementation (if the above mentioned "debug" logging is not providing the information) and tell me what mime type is required. 

Nevertheless thanks for your hints, Ralph.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 13 '18, 3:52 a.m.

I usually use a local test server to not have to rely on uncontrollable infrastructure like this: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/alien-skies-peeking-into-doors-next-extensibility/

Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 13 '18, 4:04 a.m.

Good hint.

I will take a look at it.

Thank you. 

Donald Nong commented Mar 14 '18, 2:05 a.m.

I checked the source code, and can confirm what Stefan said - when DNG requests the external catalog, it uses the header "Accept: application/xml" only. There is no debugging option to reveal this in the log files.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 14 '18, 3:10 a.m.

Hi Donald,

thanks a lot for providing this information. Meanwhile I tested it with Postman and I can confirm that our internal infrastructure is the problem here.
I am just wondering why regular open social gadget xml files are no problem but the widget catalog is. Maybe I will open up an enhancement request for it.

Nevertheless thank you for your support.

showing 5 of 13 show 8 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Stefan Oblinger (170213) | answered Mar 01 '18, 1:41 p.m.

Hi Marko,

as far as I remember, the DNG server requests the widget catalog XML from your Intranet server with HTTP Request Header "Accept: application/xml". Mime type application/xml seems not to be configured for your Intranet server and therefore the Intranet server responds with "406 Not Acceptable". You will need to enhance the configuration of your Intranet server since I doubt that there is a means to configure the HTTP request of the DNG server.

Marko Tomljenovic selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marko Tomljenovic commented Mar 14 '18, 1:59 p.m.

Just for your information. Our intranet is running MS IIS and using a Web.config file with this content seems to have solved it: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <system.webServer>
    <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed"/>
    <staticContent>
      <remove fileExtension=".xml" />  
      <mimeMap fileExtension=".xml" mimeType="application/xml" />
    </staticContent>
  </system.webServer>
</configuration>

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.