It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing Visio Business Processes and Excel

Evan Montgomery-Recht (111) | asked Sep 30 '09, 5:51 p.m.
Out of curiousity is there a way to import (or export) visio documents or excel documents? (or an Web Service interface?) We've got a lot (1000+) of diagrams that the previous consulting company did along with variety of excel and word documents (which we can convert to excel), and would rather not enter manually.

thoughts?

thanks,

evan

5 answers

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Oct 01 '09, 11:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you can upload any type of document (use File > Upload). For Excel or Word documents, you can choose to view them within Composer or externally (using default system editor); for other document types, it will just open them using the system editor.

permanent link
Pratik Shah (18622) | answered Oct 02 '09, 10:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Or you can just drag and drop.
"kgrotjohn" <kgrot> wrote in message news:ha2icp$kd3$1@localhost.localdomain...
Yes, you can upload any type of document (use File > Upload). For
Excel or Word documents, you can choose to view them within Composer
or externally (using default system editor); for other document
types, it will just open them using the system editor.

permanent link
Evan Montgomery-Recht (111) | answered Oct 05 '09, 10:26 a.m.
I guess I'd like to see something that allows importing of visio diagrams that use the standard business process diagrams to the process diagrams in RRC. Based on the method described below I'm only able to trace linkages at a high level, we're trying to get down to process step X maps to requirement Y without having to re-diagram.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Oct 05 '09, 4:36 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RRC is implementing open services for lifecycle collaboration ( https://jazz.net/open-services/ ), and RRC artifact types are defined in XML. With that many diagrams, it may be worthwhile creating an XML transformation to get them in an importable format and then invoking the OSLC APIs to load them into RRC. There is more to it than that, but that's the idea. If you'd like to explore that, I would suggest contacting the customer support or services team.

There are enhancement work items open to request these capabilities in RRC as follows

14746 Import from spreadsheet

19637 Import visio diagrams to RRC native format

Daniel

permanent link
Evan Montgomery-Recht (111) | answered Oct 05 '09, 10:34 p.m.
Daniel,

Thanks, that's what I was exactly looking for I figured there was a way, especially after exploring the upload function this morning and noticing that you could upload business process documents, which lead to the logical question of 'what's the format?' Might recommend referencing that as a feature on the website or in the help file (even if you need to contact your services team).

thanks,

evan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.