It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DB2 database error during CLM 6.0.4 setup

Narayanan Potti (27037279) | asked Oct 25 '17, 10:11 p.m.
Hi 

Please help with DB2 database errors during JTS custom setup: 

CLM 6.0.4 - installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 

Database - DB2 V11.1 installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 

I created DB2 databases for JTS, DW, CCM, QM and RM using the steps in CLM interactive installation guide. 

In JTS setup I completed all the steps for JTS and CCM applications. In QM application I got error at test connection to database: 
The server was unable to connect to the database because the database connection settings are invalid or because database is unreachable (SQLSTATE: null, SQLCODE: -4228). Verify the connection settings in your teamserver.properties file. See the Jazz Team Server log for more information.

qm.log file contains errors: 
[         qm: Database creation]  WARN repository.service.internal.rdb.JDBCConnectionPool  - SQLException during cleanup of transaction.
com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.SqlNonTransientConnectionException: [jcc][t4][10335][10366][4.21.29] Invalid operation: Connection is closed. ERRORCODE=-4470, SQLSTATE=08003
        at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.kd.a(kd.java:800)
        at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.kd.a(kd.java:66)
        at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.kd.a(kd.java:133)
        at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.Connection.checkForClosedConnection(Connection.java:6099)
        at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.Connection.getAutoCommit(Connection.java:1191)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.jdbcwrappers.stat.ConnectionStatWrapper.getAutoCommit(ConnectionStatWrapper.java:185)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.jdbcwrappers.errlog.ConnectionErrLogWrapper.getAutoCommit(ConnectionErrLogWrapper.java:135)

On database server I tried to connect to database in command line. I got error intermittently  Some times connection is successful. 

[db2inst1@bdevtlvqua201 bin]$ ./db2 connect to QM
SQL1225N  The request failed because an operating system process, thread, or
swap space limit was reached.  SQLSTATE=57049
[db2inst1@bdevtlvqua201 bin]$ ./db2 connect to JTS
SQL1225N  The request failed because an operating system process, thread, or
swap space limit was reached.  SQLSTATE=57049

[db2inst1@bdevtlvqua201 bin]$ ./db2 connect to DW
SQL10003C  There are not enough system resources to process the request. 
 The request cannot be processed.  SQLSTATE=57011

[db2inst1@bdevtlvqua201 bin]$ ./db2 connect to RM
SQL10003C  There are not enough system resources to process the request.  
The  request cannot be processed.  SQLSTATE=57011

3 answers

permanent link
Kenji Sarai (96029) | answered Oct 25 '17, 11:29 p.m.

Hi Narayaran,

This is apparently a connection problem in DB2, not application side. Verify the "User response" as below
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_9.7.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.messages.sql.doc/doc/msql01225n.html
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_9.7.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.messages.sql.doc/doc/msql10003c.html

If problem persists, please contact DB2 support or DB2 forum. It will be easier for them to answer if you can provide db2diag.log and/or 'db2support' data.

permanent link
Narayanan Potti (27037279) | answered Oct 26 '17, 3:06 p.m.

Thanks for your help Kenji and Anthony. I had created a PMR with Rational support. It was transferred to DB2 support.  DB2 support asked me to run db2support command and upload zip file. They looked into it and found below entries in DB2 administration notification log  db2diag.log:

2017-10-25-12.31.45.711855-360 E2071364E481          LEVEL: Severe
PID     : 2703                 TID : 140134771058432 PROC : db2sysc 0
INSTANCE: db2inst1             NODE : 000
HOSTNAME: bdevtlvqua201
FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, oper system services, sqloEDUEntry, probe:10
CALLED  : DB2 UDB, oper system services, sqloGetShrEDUWaitElem
RETCODE : ZRC=0x850F0081=-2062614399=SQLO_SSEM_EXCEED_MAX
          "Requesting too many semaphores"
          DIA8336C Requested too many semaphores.

Issue had to be fixed by adding Linux kenel parameters.  They DB2 knowledge center with sent kernel parameters: 

I requested Linux admin to add / modify Linux kernel parameters. After modifying the parameters admin rebooted VM. Then I was able to connect to databases successfully. I resumed JTS set up where it was left off.  Successfully connected to databases for data warehouse, QM and RM. Create Tables was successful and finalized the applications.  Then JTS set up completed successfully. 

Comments
Anthony Corrente commented Oct 26 '17, 6:53 p.m.

Good job Narayanan.

Setting up a system like CLM is a non-trivial exercise and every single layer of the solution needs to be carefully looked at to determine that the minimum requirements are met.  In this case the OS config needed attention and that the IPC (Inter Process Communication) kernel parameter were sized correctly.

You may need to consider if these are sufficient for your system as it grows, and other applications are added to it.

Good luck and all the best.
Anthony.

permanent link
Anthony Corrente (914) | answered Oct 26 '17, 12:26 a.m.

Hi Narayaran,

In addition to Kenji's recommendation, you may want to double check your Linux's server configuration when compared with the CLM requirements:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSizingStrategy60

Regards,
Anthony.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.