It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Application Deployment Process Enablement

Gary Mullen-Schultz (28725536) | asked Sep 24 '09, 6:48 p.m.
Right now, the ALM support within RTC pretty much ends at the build.

I have a customer wondering whether it will be extended to enable application deployment. I know RTC supports Build Forge, which has RAFW and other deployment tooling. He was interested in having that "flow" be included as part of the RTC process itself: a deployment role (like "buildmeister"), perhaps an approval process for deployment, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Gary

6 answers

permanent link
Murad Korejo (26199) | answered Jul 19 '10, 4:18 p.m.
I'm also wondering if anyone has successfully automated deployment using RTC? Any updates on this topic?

I have a customer wondering whether it will be extended to enable application deployment. I know RTC supports Build Forge, which has RAFW and other deployment tooling. He was interested in having that "flow" be included as part of the RTC process itself: a deployment role (like "buildmeister"), perhaps an approval process for deployment, etc.

Gary

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Jul 20 '10, 6:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you do not get a reply here, you may consider also asking in the IBM BuildForge forum:
http://ibmforums.ibm.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=2100

Martha
Jazz Developer

I'm also wondering if anyone has successfully automated deployment using RTC? Any updates on this topic?

Gary

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered Nov 17 '11, 8:52 a.m.
OK, I want to ask the same question: by now, does RTC support Deployment Automation, or if people ask this question, how shall we answer?

My understanding is no, but your build script can do anything you want, e.g. call your deployment script or even testing script. But I am not sure what they really want by this "Automation".

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered May 23 '13, 11:49 a.m.
To add more confusion:

1. IBM just brought this company which focuses on build and deployment automation. http://www.urbancode.com/html/

So my question is still the same: what does IBM wants us to do for the deployment automation?

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k10288273) | answered May 23 '13, 1:03 p.m.
Depending on when you read this message:

WEBCAST TOMORROW: Improve the Entire Software Delivery Lifecycle with DevOps

May 23, 2013 1:00 pm EDT

Register Now!

You continue to get pressure from inside and out to deliver new software features and fixes faster, but your capability to deliver has not changed, so what are you going to do. Is there a miracle answer? No, but adopting a DevOps approach can help. Join this Rational User Community webcast to understand what IBM is doing to help. Hear about IBM DevOps solutions and learn about UrbanCode, the latest acquisition. We’ll talk in detail about these 4 DevOps adoption points:
Plan and Measure
Develop and Test
Release and Deploy
Monitor and Optimize
And discuss how organizations like yours are speeding delivery with higher quality, reduced risk and lower costs.

https://events.na.collabserv.com/portal/wippages/register.php?id=4569fcd8ff&l=en-US

Comments
Jirong Hu commented May 30 '13, 3:29 p.m.

I actually finished watching the playback! Unfortunately, I didn't get anything useful from that webcast. 

My question is same as the the first question being asked during the webcast: does IBM has a DevOps tool set?

My understanding is NO. There isn't. For more than a decade I am working on IBM Rational tools, there never been a time IBM has a complete solution for this "continuous delivery". IBM brought tools from everywhere which doesn't work together. e.g. at CCCQBF time, there is no binary storage system, BF is too generic, so most of organization are using open sources such as CruiseControl and Maven. Today, RTC is great, but still there is no good build and deployment tool. Now IBM brought uDeploy, but how to integrate?

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered May 30 '13, 3:35 p.m.
edited May 30 '13, 4:57 p.m.
Show me some vision called "SmartCloud" is not going to help my current client, since 99% of my SCM clients in has nothing to do with Cloud.

Jazz build engine can't even support project dependencies, how can that be used for an enterprise? And then you give me BuildForge, and now AnthillPro. Give me a bunch of separated tools is not going to help us. What we need is a set of tools will work for small, medium, and large companies, one set for small, one set for medium and one set for large.

At this moment, what's is the complete solution from IBM to do the continuous delivery? Can somebody describe it to me?

Thanks
Jirong

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.