It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I generate a custom URI for a custom artifact?

Curt Merrick (37213) | asked Oct 05 '17, 3:03 p.m.

Using ReqIF Export/Import, I copied a module from one DNG project to another. After completing the iimport, all of the custom attributes that existed in both project areas had new artifacts created in the new project area with the number 2 appended to the artifact name (ex: Heading vs. Heading 2). This was true regardless of artifact type. How do I generate a custom URI for custom artifacts, which is what seems to be the solution?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Oct 05 '17, 4:05 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In the RDNG type administration UI you can manually add URIs for data types, attribute types, and artifact types.  Then when you export these URIs go in the export and come back again with the import. That's how the system knows not to duplicate the types.

Use whatever convention works for you... perhaps something like this:
 com.yourcompany.rm.artifact.<unique_part_of_URI>
 com.yourcompany.rm.attribute.<unique_part_of_URI>
 com.yourcompany.rm.datatype.<unique_part_of_URI>

An additional benefit is that these URIs will simplify reporting across multiple project areas using JRS Report Builder or  RELM when your data source is LQE

Curt Merrick selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Curt Merrick commented Oct 05 '17, 4:20 p.m.

Hi Daniel.

Thank you for the quick response. I see the advantage of extending the definitions of our custom artifacts to include URIs.

Is there further documentation on the structure of the URI? I notice some variance in default artifacts, such as http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/rdm/types/PrimaryText. PrimaryText is the name of the artifact but I don't recognize where /xmlns/rdm/types/ comes from or what we need to do to get DNG to recognize such a URI.

Daniel Moul commented Oct 05 '17, 5:15 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

/xmlns/rdm/types/ is an a convention the jazz developers chose "xml name space for requirements definition and management types".  It's arbitrary.

I don't think there is anything you need to do to get DNG to recognize the URIs (other than save the artifact/attribute/data type URI in the admin UI.  Your next ReqIF export will then deal with this automatically.

Curt Merrick commented Oct 06 '17, 11:40 a.m.

Hi Daniel -

This gives me enough information with which to do some experimenting. Thank you.

curt...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.