It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

call build definition from command line

RAVI YADAV (113) | asked Aug 23 '17, 5:58 a.m.
edited Aug 29 '17, 11:35 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

I need to call multiple "build definition" from jenkins job. 

I have used Team Concept plugin. However, its limitation is that it calls only one build definition. 

I need to trigger build as soon as some developers deliver change set. I searched on various website, the best solution I found was to use scheduler. But this is not exactly what I was looking for.
If anyone know better solution, feel free to comment on that part.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 25 '17, 2:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I wonder how long your server will be able to sustain the build load if you start a build for every deliver or, how long the users will have to wait.....

The best approach, I think, would be using a server extension for the deliver operation similar to  https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/build-on-state-change-work-item-save-participant/ that requests the build.

David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
David Lafreniere commented Aug 29 '17, 11:40 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree with Ralph, you likely would want to avoid long running/heavy builds if they were to be triggered on every delivery.

You could also take a look at:
https://jorgediazblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/rtc-build-on-deliver-participant/

Also, related to your forum post title, there is no command line option for Jazz Build, but this request is tracked here:
Provide command line tools for the build toolkit (21161) (although my personal and non-official opinion is that thisparticular enhancement request may not be as high priority as some of the other work that is already known for Jazz Build).

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 29 '17, 1:24 p.m. | edited Aug 29 '17, 1:25 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You could use ANT and request a build from the command line, couldn't you?

It should also be pretty basic to use the Java API to do so. The extension code does it already. Easy enough to wrap that code up into a small java program. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.