It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

'Owned by' field is set automatically once another custom attributes value changes

sara chason (27124) | asked Jul 16 '17, 8:56 a.m.

Hello,

I have an enumeration custom attribute that I'd like to make 'Owned by' filed value depend on: once the custom attribute's value changes, I want the owner to be set automatically to a specific member.
1. it looks like RTC 6.0.3 doesn't have the option to base a custom vale on a Value Set
2. 'Owned by' field is not an enumeration field so it can't be picked as the "Dependent Enumeration".

Does someone have another solution?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 16 '17, 2:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 17 '17, 1:52 a.m.

There are several ways of doing this - Attribute customization likely is not the best approach. It basically depends on what the real use case is to decide the approaches. A follow up action might be possible and, with limitation, a calculated value. See my problems with many similar requests below.

I personally think this is a broken process/use case and instead of such an automation a work item query used by the responsible person to assign the owner or pick up ownership in the project would be a lot better.

They could use the query to assign the work item (as RTC is designed for) and the automation is just pointless. A lot of the automation I have seen requested here is pointless, because it tries to automate a process at a point where the process was broken by the management and users. An automation that is so simple that it does not need a human to do it is typically showing the automation is pointless and not really needed. Rules that simple to put into logic usually don't provide any benefits.

Comments
sara chason commented Jul 17 '17, 7:52 a.m.

I think the use case wasn't very clear: we have a defect custom attribute that is parallel to "Team Area" field but has much more values (Component field). we are interested that once a value of the "Component" field is set, the "Owned By" field value will be set with a default owner right away, just like the owner fields optional values match the chosen team area members.

what's the simplest way of implementing this use case?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 17 '17, 8:14 a.m.

So where would the ownership information be coming from?

sara chason commented Jul 23 '17, 10:28 a.m.

I want to use some sort of pre-defined mapping of Component-Owner and base my post-action on it. I just don't know how to create such a complicated "real time" post-action

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 23 '17, 10:24 a.m.

I believe you would have to write your own custom follow-up action to perform this.   You would need to decide where to store your Component->Owner mapping information, so that you can modify that information without modifying the source code of your follow-up action.   A couple of potential places are in the process-XML, or as a file attachment to the project area process.

Comments
sara chason commented Jul 23 '17, 10:29 a.m.

Your solution sounds good, can you please provide instructions about the above?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 24 '17, 4:19 a.m.

You (or someone you designate) would need to work through Ralph's extension workshop ( https://jazz.net/library/article/1000 ).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.