It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you install feature based launches (Eclipse2, JUnit2, OSGi2) on Eclipse Neon and on a Mac?

April Bailey (12) | asked Jun 29 '17, 12:30 p.m.

I am trying to install feature based launches into Eclipse.  I am running Neon.3 (4.6.3) on a Mac.

From this page https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureBasedLaunches I downloaded the zip file.
For Eclipse 4.4.2 or later: launcher442.zip

Unzip.  There is a plugins directory with a com.ibm.team.dev.launch_0.3.13.201605301342.jar in the directory.

Go to where Eclipse is installed.  Right-click and choose "Show Package Contents".  Now I can see this directory structure.
Contents

Eclipse
configuration
dropins
plugins
readme
MacOS
Resources

I moved the jar file into Contents->Eclipse->plugins.
Restarted Eclipse.
Ran "Run Configurations"
I do not see the Eclipse2, JUnit2, OSGi2.

I looked through jazz.net and found some articles talk about the dropins directory.  So I moved the jar file to Contents->Eclipse->dropins.
Restarted Eclipse.
Ran "Run Configurations"
I do not see the Eclipse2, JUnit2, OSGi2.

So how can I add these feature based launches to my configuration?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 29 '17, 1:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

https://jazz.net/library/article/1000 explains the setup process. It works with Windows and Linux, I think. I did not test with Mac (if you want to donate a good MacBook to me, I'd think about it). If It is not picked up look at Mac zip files and try to repackage.

Comments
April Bailey commented Jun 29 '17, 2:01 p.m.

The workshop directions said to put it in the dropins folder which I did and it didn't work.  I wonder if it isn't the version of eclipse.  Others using Mars can do the same thing and it works.  Could there be a new jar file somewhere for these newer eclipse versions?

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 29 '17, 2:20 p.m. | edited Jun 29 '17, 2:22 p.m.

Yes, the workshop was recently updated, that is why I shared the link again, so you can easily see the differences. The new version is also reflected in the feature based launch page.

April Bailey commented Jun 29 '17, 3:32 p.m.

When I tried to go through the 222 pages of the worshop pdf, I found a section where it talked about features.  It said the jar file should be in the dropins folder.  I tried that and it didn't work.  It needed to be in dropins->plugins->jar file.  And actually I had another layer approach that worked dropins->launcher442->plugins->jar file.  If it said dropins->plugins and I missed it, I apologize. 

permanent link
April Bailey (12) | answered Jun 29 '17, 3:20 p.m.

It looks like the jar file needs to go into:

dropins
plugins
jar file

I ended up doing a brand new install of eclipse.  I put the downloaded launcher.zip file into the dropins folder and unzipped it there.  It actually created this directory structure that worked.

dropins
launcher442
plugins
jar file

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 29 '17, 3:27 p.m. | edited Jun 29 '17, 3:29 p.m.

This is the reason why I am getting more and more unwilling to spend time in answering questions here. It is explained how to deploy the launcher (unzip it and drop it into dropins) in https://jazz.net/library/article/1000 (provided in the answer above) however I get the feeling reading is not practiced any more. It would be really easy to search for e.g. launcher in the PDF as well. However, expectation seems to be that someone writes up a new workshop for each quaestion.

Sorry if this hits you, but this is an every day observation recently.

April Bailey commented Jun 29 '17, 3:34 p.m.

I did read the file, I searched through the 222 page pdf.  I did not see where it had to be in dropins->plugins.  I'm sorry if it was right there and I missed it, but I searched through that pdf and other jazz.net articles and if I had seen where the plugins folder had to exist under dropins, I would have tried that before posting.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 29 '17, 4:01 p.m.

April, the description is on page 13 for https://jazz.net/library-content/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/RTC603ExtPoT.pdf

Problem maybe is, is that if you did things too often, you get bored. I just have done this workshop too often, I guess. for others it might be still flaky.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.