It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Global Configuration - RTC Web Bar

Angelo Corna (26148381) | asked Jun 21 '17, 3:30 p.m.

If I enable the Configuration Management option on a RQM or DNG project area, the bar on top of web UI show the GC stream active at this moment for this project area.

On RTC bar I can't see any information regarding GC stream. Is it correct?
If yes, why?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jun 22 '17, 10:32 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes it's correct as designed. RTC work items are not versioned, so you are not in a configuration context when working with work items. And when you are viewing some RTC web pages you are seeing multiple configurations or artifacts in multiple configurations.  The way you associate work items with a global configuration context is by mapping deliverable attributes (Planned For, Found In, etc) to GCs.

The RTC team has been doing some explorations of ways they might improve how RTC works with global configurations without reducing the productivity of developers using the RTC SCM. If you have ideas, I'm sure the team would be interested in them.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 24 '17, 7:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 24 '17, 8:35 a.m.

I believe the current majority view is that RTC should be maintaining a "current configuration" context, just as RQM and DNG do.    You can start to see the beginning of this in 6.0.4, where the RTC web page for a stream or snapshot now does display a current configuration context, when you navigate to that web page from a web page that either is a global configuration, or that has a global configuration context.

WRT an RTC web pages for work items, the approach we are investigating is to allow you to declare that a particular work item link-valued property should use the current configuration context when navigating that link (so you could select his instead of the Found-In and Planned-For alternatives currently provided).   This would be appropriate for "impacts" link types, where you are interested in the version of that artifact that is in the "current configuration".
WRT cases where multiple configurations are being displayed on a single web page, we are considering adding a graphical indicator on any displayed artifacts that are not part of the "current configuration".
And as Daniel indicated, we will be soliciting input about that proposed design (consider this one of those solicitations :-).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.