It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the point of an editable Snapshot of a Plan

John Matthews (2263932) | asked Sep 14 '09, 6:52 a.m.
RQM 2.0:

Made an editable snapshot of a Plan which includes all its associated Test Cases, Scripts. I though this would give me a new fresh plan from which I could execute Test Cases & I could associate the test results with the Plan.

When I go to execute the Test Cases, after creating Test Execution Records, the Test Case execution does not allow me to associate the results with the current (snapshotted) Plan. The "run test case" only allows me to associate the result to the master plan (the original Plan the snapshot was created from). The TERs are not selectable in the "run test case" either.

2 questions:
1. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?
2. What is the point of an editable snapshot of a Plan?

Image of "run test case":

6 answers

permanent link
John Matthews (2263932) | answered Sep 14 '09, 7:01 a.m.
Maybe I should use the (RQM v2.0) RQMCopyUtility to create a new Plan copy from which current I can execute Test Cases / TERS properly? Is this a better idea than using snapshots to create new plans?

RQMCopyUtility:
http://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMCopyUtility

I assume there is no other way to create a new plan from an existing one & where the new plan contains all the associated Test Cases?

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | answered Sep 14 '09, 7:56 a.m.
Maybe I should use the (RQM v2.0) RQMCopyUtility to create a new Plan copy from which current I can execute Test Cases / TERS properly? Is this a better idea than using snapshots to create new plans?

RQMCopyUtility:

I assume there is no other way to create a new plan from an existing one & where the new plan contains all the associated Test Cases?

when you create a snapshot of a test plan or test case, it is then shown in the listing of the snapshot view located by the link from that artifact ... to use the snapshot, you use the COPY button from the snapshot view to re-use that previous snapshot and create a new plan off it ...

When you select copy, it creates a brand new plan, with the title of COPY of XXXXXX where XXXXXXX is the previous test plan name .. you then edit this copy.

All assets should be intact from the snapshot with the exception of the the test schedules, test environments and test execution records.

Hope that helps

permanent link
John Matthews (2263932) | answered Sep 14 '09, 8:03 a.m.
yes that's what I did when I made my editable copy ... I used the Copy button.

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | answered Sep 14 '09, 3:32 p.m.

Hi John

OK I see what happened .... it looks like the snapshot also snapshotted the associated test cases, instead of just retaining the association ... the only way around that right now would be to delete the test cases and add them back to this plan, this will then allow you to select the newly created test plans as the placement for the execution results.

I've logged this, I think it a bug ...

permanent link
John Matthews (2263932) | answered Sep 14 '09, 3:52 p.m.
Thanks karen!!

Hi John

OK I see what happened .... it looks like the snapshot also snapshotted the associated test cases, instead of just retaining the association ... the only way around that right now would be to delete the test cases and add them back to this plan, this will then allow you to select the newly created test plans as the placement for the execution results.

I've logged this, I think it a bug ...

permanent link
John Matthews (2263932) | answered Sep 15 '09, 2:10 p.m.
Logged as a bug:

https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=20610

Extract from bug description:

"I have created a test plan with all its whistles and bells - requirements, tesf schedules, test cases etc etc .. I then created a snapshot.
for my next release, I took a copy of that snapshot to create my new plan .... all elements with the exception of the test schedule were included as I expected. BUT ... the test cases that are associate with this copy of the snapshot, are showing naming conventions that suggest that as part of the test plan snapshot, it also snapshot the test cases which are now showing names such as "Login (snapshot ABC Snapshot)" .... which means that even thoug the test case is still associated, I cannot execute it in this new plan because it will not allow me to create an association with the new plan - it only presents to me the original plan.

Is this a bug ?

The only workaround right now is to remove the test case and reassociate, which defeats the purpose

Steps to reproduce
Create test Plan
Associate test cases
Take a snapshot
Use Snapshot to create a new plan
In the new plan created from the snapshot, try to execute a test case - only the "original" plan can be associated, and not the new snapshot copy"

... another workaround might be to create a copy of the new Plan by using the RQMCopyUtility:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.