It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to deploy a redundant jts server for floating licenses

oueyte sandrine (111) | asked Mar 02 '17, 8:46 a.m.

To have a floating license file shared between some JAZZ servers, it's possible to deploy the license file on a jts server

is it possible to have redundant jts servers to maintain the availibility of the service? The objectif is to have the same bebahior than flexlm servers.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 02 '17, 9:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 02 '17, 9:14 a.m.

I found this answer: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/67319/jts-connect-to-multiple-jts-floating-license-servers

I would however want to mention that I am not sure if that is not violating the license terms.

You have to be able to prove that you have only used the licenses you have purchased. I an not sure if this is a valid scenario e.g. if the first license server does not have a license, does that mean that JTS will ask the second or third if there is still a license? In that case you would end up having three times the number of licenses available? If that would be the case, you would definitely violate the license agreements. I think you should consider to contact your local IBM team to make sure you don't violate any legal binding contracts. I have send a question to product management to be able to answer here.

If you want to make sure not to violate any license, you can set up the license server as cold or hot standby and fail over to the standby if the primary goes down.

Token Licensing uses FlexLM and that supports a redundant server triad.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Paul Ellis commented Mar 02 '17, 9:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Oueyte,

To backup what Ralph is saying:

For licensing.  If the two JTS servers (JTS A amd B I'll call them) are distinct, meaning they are separate installations and not sharing the same Jazz license server then if "user X" needs a license to access JTS A and a second license to also access JTS B they will consume 2; 1 in each.  This is what the Floating User Single Install means in the license terms.

If you are using the second server as a high availability backup server then we have terms that allow you the Jazz licensing info and set up duplicate license enablement on JTS A and JTS B.  I would have to look for these terms.  But I know we have other customers using special terms that basically say they have 2x the number of licenses but are using them only for HA/Disaster Recovery.   This way if you are audited on license usage compliance they produce the document from IBM showing the special HA terms.

I would contact your local IBM representative to organise these special terms.

oueyte sandrine commented Mar 02 '17, 12:41 p.m. | edited Mar 04 '17, 4:45 p.m.

I would like to have a Validated solution and not some trials that can have violation with the contract.

My objectif is to ensure availibity of the license server to ensure availibitity of the JAZZ platforms. And also to stay in a Validated IBM solution to do that

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 03 '17, 2:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Which the above can provide, if you do the legal work upfront.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.