It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Permissions Question - Why do I have to have modify permission on save?

Dudley Thomas (41613) | asked Feb 15 '17, 4:42 p.m.

Situation:

1) User A sets a value on a work item attribute the only he has permission to change. Call it RestrictedAttribute.
2) User A transitions the work item to a state where RestrictedAttribute is required.
3) User B attempts to set another attribute, UnrestrictedAttribute, and cannot because he does not have permission to "modify" RestrictedAttribute.

RestrictedAttribute is already set and User B did not attempt to change it.  Am I misunderstanding how permissions work?  It seems to me that this behavior changed in 6.0 or later.

Thoughts?

Comments
Andy Chen commented Feb 15 '17, 11:07 p.m. | edited Feb 15 '17, 11:07 p.m.

Hi,

I've tested your scenario in RTC 6.0.3 and did not encounter your particular issue. Could you provide the version of RTC you are currently using?

If you are using 6.0.3, then you may need to contact IBM Support regarding this issue.

Regards,
Andy

One answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Feb 15 '17, 11:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Dudley,

Some attribute changes have a broader effect and would require more permissions than what meets the eyes. 

One example is the "Filed Against". 

Changing a category has an effect of moving the work item to a different Team.  This requires the same permission as creating a new work item in the other team area - means you would need 'modify' rights for all the attributes that are NOT at their default value.

In your case, since User A has modified the value on the restrictedAttribute, I believe it is at its non-default value.  So, if User B is attempting to change the Filed Against, User B would need to have modify permissions on restrictedAttribute as well.

If you can explain more on what attributes are in question and what values are they acquiring, we may be able to reason out this better...

hope this helps..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.