It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Linked Files column NOT displaying SCM file links

Todd Swan (112) | asked Feb 08 '17, 11:07 a.m.
RTC 6.0.3 update:

Link SCM-controlled files to other CLM artifacts for traceability

STATES: "You can now create links between SCM-controlled files in Rational Team Concert and other Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) artifacts, such as requirements in Rational DOORS Next Generation, test scripts in Rational Quality Manager, or other SCM-controlled files to provide full traceability from user requirements to implementation to test results. "

It is possible to use eclipse to create a link between the RQM artifacts (Test Scripts, Test Case Results and Test Suite Results) and the eclipse source file.  From Eclipse it is possible to see these links and access the artifacts. In RQM for each of these artifacts there is a "Linked Files" column in the list but this column is blank (there is nothing in the side bar that displays a link either).  
It is important to note that the help indicates the link should be displayed ( See Below - from help ).  
Question:
Is there something in the configuration that allows this linked files column to display these links or is this function not working properly?

Linking test artifacts with Rational Team Concert files

You can create related resource links between any file stored in Jazz source control and Rational® Quality Manager test scripts, test case results, and test suite results. Links are established through the Rational Team Concert™ client.

Before you begin

• Configuration management must be enabled.
  • Install Rational Team Concert client.

About this task

To create links from Rational Quality Manager Test Artifacts and files under Rational Team Concert source control, you need to select a global configuration context for the operation. The selected global configuration context must contain configurations with source and target artifacts.

Procedure

1. In the Rational Team Concert client, open the Package Explorer view, select the file that you want to associate with your test artifact; right-click, then click Team > Add Related Artifacts.
  2. In the Select Relationship window, select the artifact from the list of supported relationships- Test Case, Test Script or Test Case Result, and click OK.
  3. In the Artifact Link window, select the target artifacts and click OK. After you create a link, check in the file.
    Note: This task can not be done through the Web client. Though you can view the links on the Web client.
  4. In the Rational Quality Manager application, you can view the new links under Linked Files. If you click the link, it will take you to the Rational Team Concert Web client to view the file. The Linked Files field is also available in the Test Script, Test Case Result, and Test Suite Result table views. You can see the linked files for each artifact resource in the tables. The file link is also visible in the Related Files section in the artifact editor's right sidebar.

Results

This provides full traceability between Test case to test script and the actual test script files in SCM. The linked file information will also be displayed in an exported CSV or PDF file.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 08 '17, 3:34 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The link will only be visible in RQM if that link (which is stored in RTC) exists in the RTC stream that contributes to the current global configuration for your RQM web view.
So after you have created the link and checked it in to the RTC workspace, you will need to deliver the RTC change set that contains this new link to the RTC stream that participates in the global configuration.

Comments
Todd Swan commented Feb 09 '17, 11:22 a.m.

I'm still having a problem the web browser is still not displaying the Linked Files 

see my comments for additional information

Todd Swan commented Feb 09 '17, 11:22 a.m. | edited Feb 09 '17, 4:48 p.m.
Thank you for your quick response but I'm still having an issue.  

The eclipse client allows for the links to be created and displayed but the web browser still does not display the Linked Files or Related Files. 

When the link is created in eclipse and the updated files are deliver to the repository, a link should be displayed in the RQM application along with it being displayed in eclipse client.  If you compare the web browser to the eclipse client data you can see that the Linked Files column is displayed in the eclipse and not displayed in the web browser (Firefox and Chrome work the same way).

It is important to note that the Related Files section within the artifacts has the same issue as the Linked Files column.  It is displayed in the eclipse client but not displayed in the browser.

Use the following instruction to see the links in eclipse
Optional: To view links between a file under Rational Team Concert source control and related artifacts in a global configuration context:
  1. In the Package Explorer view, select a file; right-click, then click Team > Open Related Artifacts.
    Note: In the Rational Team Concert Client for Microsoft Visual Studio IDE, in the Sandbox Explorer or Solution Explorer window, select a file; right-click, then click Open Related Artifacts…. In the Rational Team Concert Shell, in the Windows Explorer window, select a file; right-click, then click Rational Team Concert > Open Related Artifacts….
  2. In the Open Related Artifacts window, select the global configuration context.
  3. Select the artifact and click OpenThe details of the related artifact are displayed in a web browser view.
  4. To view other links that are associated with the target file, including incoming links from the original artifact, click the Links tab of the target file.
    Note: Different types of artifacts can display different views and each application can have different ways to find related links.
NOTE: the browsers tested where (Firefox 45.6.0 ESR) and (Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87) 

<o:p> </o:p>

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 10 '17, 10:42 a.m.

To confirm, you have delivered the change sets containing the added links to the RTC stream that is contributing to the global configuration you have selected when you created the links?   Without doing that, those links are not yet part of the global configuration and therefore would not be visible in RQM.   If you have delivered these change sets to that stream, then I suggest working with Support, because the function is working as documented for me.

Todd Swan commented Feb 10 '17, 2:56 p.m. | edited Feb 11 '17, 12:55 a.m.
Thanks for all the help!

Yes, all the data was delivered to the repository. 

Ok I found my mistake with not seeing the links in the Web Browser for RQM artifacts.  I had the wrong Global Configuration selected.

That fixed my problem with not seeing the Linked Files column for Test Script, Test Case Results and Test Suite Result list.  It also fixed the problem I had seeing the Related Files section on the ride side in the Test Script and Test Suite Results but the Test Case Results still do not display the Related Files section.  

Question:
Should the Related Files section be displayed in the Test Case Results?  I can see in the Test Case Result list the Linked Files column does display the linked file.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 11 '17, 12:59 a.m.

Yes, the Related Files section should be displayed in the Test Case Results page, if there are any related files.   So if you see the files in the linked files column, but do not see it in the Related Files section, that is a bug.   I did some testing, and I actually saw the opposite problem ... it showed too many files in the Related Files section of some of the test case results.   In particular, I had one file that linked to three test case results, and another file that only linked to one of those test case results.   The Linked Files column information was correct, but the Related Files section of all three of those test cases showed both files as being linked, when actually only one of those files linked to both test cases.   I've filed a defect for that.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.