It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where is the .log file when using the Jetty based Environment while developing plugins?

anup Gaur (1392244) | asked Jan 07 '17, 8:32 a.m.

While developing plugins I'm using Jetty based RTC extending environment in RTC 6.0.2. This was created using the RTC extending workshop setup. While testing where are the console messages written to when working on work items on the web. 

While working on work items using the RTC client I have access to console(by adding Breakpoint) and the .log of the Eclipse workspace under .metadata folder. 
But I need access to the .log file for debugging Javascript messages (generated by console.log output ) when running the same from Web(https://localhost:7443/jazz/web/projects/ProjectXXX).

Accepted answer

permanent link
Uwe Berthold (6627) | answered Jan 15 '19, 1:47 a.m.

Late reply to this, it's probably no longer relevant to the thread owner, but may help others.

By default, the setup for Jetty will not log to a file, but only to console.
For this particular setup, you can find the log4j properties file for Jetty at ${workspace_loc}/RTC Extension Workshop Configuration - Server/conf/jazz/log4j.properties and add an appender for your output as described here:

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 09 '17, 2:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 09 '17, 2:10 a.m.

The server log file, I believe, is

C:\RTCXXDev\workspaces\Dev1\runtime-New_configuration.metadata\.log assuming the Eclipse workspace running Jetty is C:\RTCXXDev\workspaces\Dev1\WS

It was pretty easy to find using a simple file search.

Comments
anup Gaur commented Jan 09 '17, 7:14 a.m. | edited Jan 09 '17, 7:15 a.m.

Dear Ralph,

I don't have a runtime_newConfiguration folder in my Dev1 folder.
What I have is 
C:\RTCXXDev\workspaces\Dev1\WS 
C:\RTCXXDev\workspaces\Dev1\server
C:\RTCXXDev\workspaces\Dev1\junit-team-server-tests-workspace
This last folder also has a .metadata and a .log file but nothing is logged here.
I think I'm missing something minor here. A simple search of the file system didn't reveal anything useful. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 09 '17, 7:40 a.m. | edited Jan 09 '17, 7:44 a.m.

Wrong Answer from me deleted

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 09 '17, 7:44 a.m.

Sorry, my bad. The workspace C:\RTCXXDev\workspaces\Dev1\runtime-New_configuration.metadata\ is generated by the RTC Eclipse debug client.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 09 '17, 7:47 a.m.

You can try to look if C:\RTC602Dev\workspaces\Dev2\WS.metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core[RTCExt] Jetty RTC Server dev\workspace.metadata\.log is what you are looking for. I have never had that requirement.

anup Gaur commented Jan 09 '17, 8:05 a.m.

Dear Ralph,

Thanks for all the effort.  I did reach C:\RTC602Dev\workspaces\Dev1\WS.metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core[RTCExt] Jetty RTC Server dev
But again no workspace or .log inside.
I will keep looking, thanks again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.