It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does Jetty support LDAP authentication?

Luca Martinucci (1.0k294112) | asked Mar 10 '14, 12:41 p.m.
I am setting up an environment for RTC extensions development.
I wonder whether it is possible to configure the embedded Jetty server for LDAP authentication, in order to reproduce the configuration of the production environment as accurately as possible.
Has anyone ever tried to do that?
I am working with RTC 4.0.5

Accepted answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Mar 10 '14, 12:43 p.m.
edited Mar 10 '14, 12:43 p.m.
Hello Luca,

short answer is yes,
you will find some details on this topic here:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty/Tutorial/JAAS#LdapLoginModule
Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Luca Martinucci commented Mar 11 '14, 10:13 a.m.

Piotr, I don't really understand.

I would like to configure RTC running on a Jetty server for LDAP authentication.
Is it possible by simply configuring the RTC LDAP parameters, or are there any additional settings that must be done on Jetty (according to the topic you suggested me to read)?

Piotr Aniola commented Mar 11 '14, 10:38 a.m.

OK, so the original question was, does Jetty support LDAP. It does, but this capability is provided by a separate module, and needs to be enabled, as per the article I linked.

Now, a separate issue is, will this work wih RTC. As you surely know, RTC is not supported on Jetty:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements
Having said that, it should work anyway.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 11 '14, 10:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would like to ask, why Jetty and LDAP? What is the underlying reason. RTC on Jetty for developing extensions makes sense. Otherwise I don't think you should do it. If you want to extend RTC, why would you need LDAP (connected with RTC)?

Luca Martinucci commented Mar 12 '14, 10:51 a.m.

@Piotr:

I have been able to setup the LDAP configuration for RTC on Jetty, in the sense that I am able to import users from LDAP; anyway, I cannot log in with LDAP users' credentials; so I suppose that some additional, Jetty-side, configuration is needed.
Of course I know that RTC is not supported on Jetty; my Jetty environment is intended to be a quick test environment for extensions I am developing (before deploying them to a more robust Tomcat test environment).
I realized that actually I don't really need LDAP authentication on Jetty, as it is out of scope and too complex to set up, so I decided to switch back to internal authentication.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.