It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating custom Pre-Build and Post-Build options

David Rostocil (911410) | asked Sep 01 '09, 11:42 a.m.
I would like to create custom Pre-Build and Post-Build options that would be available to all build definitions in my repository. Currently there is only a 'Jazz Source Control' option for Pre-Build tasks, and 'ECJ Publishing' and 'Junit Publishing' for Post-Build tasks. The dialog layout leads me to believe that this functionality is meant to be extended. (Each option is a checkbox and there are 'Move Up' and 'Move Down' buttons to set the order in which the tasks are performed.) I have spent a good deal of time searching the jazz.net net documentation and the forums but have not found anything that would help me get started with this process. Is this even possible? Can anyone point me to documentation that would get me going in the right direction?

Thanks,
-Dave

26 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 09 '09, 2:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, pretty well everything in the Build component is open-ended (except for the web UI, but we're working on that for 3.0).

To add a pre-build or post-build option, you'll need to do the following:

1. Add a new 'build configuration element' extension to allow extra configuration on the build definition.
2. You'll probably want to define a new 'build definition template' to allow your new configuration to be chosen by default (or just be made available) when creating a new build definition. You choose a template in the first page of the build definition wizard.
3. To add UI to the build definition editor for setting the various properties, you'll need to add a 'build configuration element editor' extension to the Eclipse UI.
4. To do the real work in the build engine using the configured info (unless it's just to pass properties through to the build script), you'll need to add a 'build participant' extension to the build engine.

For example, the Jazz SCM pre-build participant does the following for each of the above:

1. Build configuration element for Jazz SCM, currently defined in the plugin.xml for com.ibm.team.build.common. Note the PRE_BUILD phase is specified here, so it shows up in the pre-build options page of the build definition wizard.

<extension
point="com.ibm.team.build.common.buildConfigurationElements">

<buildConfigurationElement
id="com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm" buildPhase="PRE_BUILD"
description="%JazzScmConfigElementDescription"
name="%JazzScmConfigElementName">
<configurationProperty name="com.ibm.team.build.engine.variable.substitution"/>

<genericProperty
genericEditAllowed="false"
name="team.scm.workspaceUUID"
description="%JazzScmWorkspaceUUID"
required="true"
kind="com.ibm.team.scm.property.workspace"/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.fetchDestination"
description="%JazzScmDestination"
required="true"/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.deleteDestinationBeforeFetch"
description="%JazzScmDeleteDestinationBeforeFetch"
required="true"
defaultValue="false"/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.acceptBeforeFetch"
description="%JazzScmAcceptFirst"
required="true"
defaultValue="true"/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.buildOnlyIfChanges"
description="%JazzScmBuildOnlyIfChanges"
required="true"
defaultValue="true"/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.componentLoadRules"
description="%JazzScmComponentLoadRuleUUIDs"
required="false"
defaultValue=""/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.includeComponents"
description="%JazzScmIncludeComponents"
required="false"
defaultValue="false"/>
<genericProperty
name="team.scm.loadComponents"
description="%JazzScmLoadComponentUUIDs"
required="false"
defaultValue=""/>
</buildConfigurationElement>
</extension>

2. Although Jazz SCM doesn't define its own template, it's added as an available configuration in other ones, such as the template for Ant (again excerpted from the plugin.xml for com.ibm.team.build.common):

<extension
point="com.ibm.team.build.common.buildDefinitionTemplates">
<buildDefinitionTemplate
id="com.ibm.team.build.ant"
description="%AntTemplateDescription"
name="%AntTemplateName">
<buildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.general"/>
<buildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.ant"/>
<buildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.schedule"/>
<buildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.properties"/>
<availableBuildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm"/>
<availableBuildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.jdt.publishing"/>
<availableBuildConfigurationElement id="com.ibm.team.build.junit.publishing"/>
</buildDefinitionTemplate>
</extension>

3. The Jazz SCM page of the build definition editor is contributed by the following extension in com.ibm.team.build.ui.

<extension
point="com.ibm.team.build.ui.buildConfigurationElementEditors">
<buildConfigurationElementEditor
class="com.ibm.team.build.internal.ui.editors.builddefinition.JazzScmConfigurationEditorFactory"
configurationElementId="com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm"
name="%JazzScmEditorName">
</buildConfigurationElementEditor>
</extension>

The JazzScmConfigurationEditorFactory class implements com.ibm.team.build.ui.editors.builddefinition.IConfigurationElementEditorFactory, which is a simple factory interface. In this case it creates an instance of com.ibm.team.build.internal.ui.editors.builddefinition.JazzScmConfigurationEditor, which extends the API class com.ibm.team.build.ui.editors.builddefinition.AbstractConfigurationElementEditor.

4. To do the actual work of accepting changes and loading the build workspace, the Jazz SCM build participant extension is added to the build engine (this time in plugin com.ibm.team.build.engine). Note that the phase is repeated here.

<extension
point="com.ibm.team.build.engine.buildEngineParticipants">
<buildEngineParticipant
id="com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.JazzScmPreBuildParticipant"
class="com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.JazzScmPreBuildParticipant"
buildPhase="PRE_BUILD"
configurationElementId="com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm">
</buildEngineParticipant>
</extension>

The JazzScmPreBuildParticipant class extends the API class com.ibm.team.build.engine.AbstractPreBuildParticipant, which in turn extends com.ibm.team.build.engine.AbstractBuildEngineParticipant.

For more details on how these are implemented, you can check the source, available in the RTC SDK:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RtcSdk20

More programming examples using the Build API are available at:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildJavaProgrammingExamples

Regards,
Nick Edgar
RTC Build component lead

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 09 '09, 2:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
See also: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BuildArchitecture
for a high-level overview of the architecture of RTC Build.
From this you can see where the various extensions mentioned above live. The extensions in 'common' plug-ins exist in both the Eclipse client and the Jazz server. 'ui' plug-ins are just in the Eclipse client. 'engine' plug-ins are used in the build engine (jbe process), which is also a client of the Jazz server (and therefore includes 'common' and 'client' plug-ins).

permanent link
Andrew Harmel-Law (14612218) | answered Sep 27 '09, 10:51 a.m.
Hi,

I'm also keen to do something similar to this original request, but I hope its far simpler. I'm hoping to add the JAZZ SCM as a pre build step to the existing Generic Build Template. It seems from the information above that this will be both possible and simple. However I do not know where to find the plugin.xml for com.ibm.team.build.common.

I'm very new to plugin development/enhancement for Jazz so hopefully I've not missed something. I have however looked around and lack this final piece of information.

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Andrew

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 28 '09, 10:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andrew,

Could you clarify why you want to add Jazz SCM to the Generic template? Normally the Generic template is used only when the build is driven externally, e.g. from an Ant script, in which case the script uses the teamAccept and teamFetch Ant tasks to do the SCM work.

If we were to add Jazz SCM to the Generic template, then it could do the SCM work for you, but it then has no way to do the rest of the build.

But to answer your questions:
> I do not know where to find the plugin.xml for com.ibm.team.build.common.
The com.ibm.team.build.common plug-in can be found under {installDir}\jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\build\eclipse\plugins in the RTC Eclipse client, and under {installDir}\jazz\buildsystem\buildengine\eclipse\plugins in the Build System Toolkit. It's also in the server. However, I don't recommend modifying its plugin.xml.

> It seems from the information above that this will be both possible and simple.
Unfortunately it is not currently possible to add a build configuration to an existing template. Instead, a new template would need to be defined (either in com.ibm.team.build.common or in a separate plug-in).

Regards,
Nick

permanent link
David Rostocil (911410) | answered Sep 30 '09, 9:57 a.m.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I recently attempted to get a "Hello World" version of a custom build configuration element running in my RTC 2.0 client but was unsuccessful. I completed steps 1-3 by manually editing the plugin.xml files in {installDir}\jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\build\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.team.build.ui_2.0.0.I200906081817.jar and {installDir}\jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\build\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.team.build.common_2.0.0.I200906091854.jar to match the changes you outlined in your post. (I attempted to outline them here but for some reason the forum was not correctly displaying the changes. I have sent a zip with the relevant files to your email address.) I have not moved onto step 4 but I don't think that will affect the client. Am I missing something in my configuration? I do not see an option to add my configuration element to the build definition.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer.

-Dave

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 30 '09, 10:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you were modifying the plugin jars directly, you need to restart with -clean to ensure it picks up the changes. Eclipse keeps a cache of the extension registry under the configuration directory, so the alternative is to delete everthing under there (well, almost everything -- keep the config.ini file).

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 30 '09, 10:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you tried to post the XML snippets here, chances are they got munged. Try checking 'Disable HTML in this post' next time. Be warned that if you use Preview, the preview works but then loses this setting, so you need to re-check it before posting. You can also make that the default in your forum profile settings.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 30 '09, 10:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For forum profile settings, use the little human icon, not the "Edit Profile" link at top.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Sep 30 '09, 10:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hm, looks like those settings are not honoured anyway. I have mine turned off, but they're still enabled when making a post.

permanent link
David Rostocil (911410) | answered Sep 30 '09, 11:35 a.m.
The -clean option did the trick!

I missed the 'Disable HTML in this post' check box. I'm sure that was my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.