It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Should a Work Item Related Artefact URL be maintained when the Project Area Name is changed.

Geoff Binns (30625) | asked Sep 30 '16, 7:23 a.m.

A Work Item has a Related Artefact using a URL to a component in the current Project Area. The URL includes the Project Area name. If the name of the current Project Area is changed the URL does not get updated with the new name of the Project Area.

Should it be or is this a bug?

Seen using 5.0.2.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Sep 30 '16, 7:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 30 '16, 7:51 a.m.
This is a user error, where the user copied the editor URL into the link destination and did not copy the real work item URI.

The correct URI would look somewhat like

https://clm.example.com:9443/ccm/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/80

and would, as you can see, not have any project area name in the URI. 

If you browse to a work item and simply copy the URL, you get something like

https://clm.example.com:9443/ccm/web/projects/JKE%20Banking%20%28Change%20Management%29#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=80

Which is an editor/view URL and not the correct URI of the resource.

As far as I remember there is an action available to get the correct URI in the Work item UI and copy it.
Geoff Binns selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Geoff Binns commented Sep 30 '16, 8:36 a.m.

You are right. Thanks.

Do you know how to get the URI of a resource? The help just says "Specify a valid URI". But I can't find anywhere in the help that says how to find it.

The WI Related Artefact dialog just asks for a URI, it would be helpful to be able navigate to a resource and select it.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 30 '16, 8:44 a.m.

Please see the screenshots below for Eclipse and the Web UI.

Geoff Binns commented Oct 03 '16, 10:38 a.m.

Thanks Ralph.

The reason why I never found this is that I cannot see the icon on my WebUI!

Do you know any reason why I don't? I cannot find any option to disable it.

I can see the option in Eclipse.

What I wanted to do was relate a Work Item to a Component as a "Related Artefact" but can't see how to get the URI of a Component. Should I be able to do this?

Donald Nong commented Oct 03 '16, 9:18 p.m.

In the web client, another not-so-obvious option is the work item type icon, as it is associated with the correct URL. If you hover the mouse over it, you will see the URL. You can right-click on it and Copy Link Location (or other similar wordings depending on browsers) to get the URL.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 04 '16, 4:02 a.m.

The Web UI only recently got this button. I was also not aware of Don's method (thanks Don!).

As far as I can tell, there is no easy way to get the Item URI for a component. Component is not even supported as an Item in the Item attribute type. So I would say you will likely not be able to do this really.

Geoff Binns commented Oct 04 '16, 9:55 a.m.

Thanks.

We just realised it is in 6.0.2 but not in 5.0.2 that I am using.

Sorry but the further question is what is the WI Link using Add Related Artifact for if it cannot be used for this purpose (except for Work Items).

This needs to be clear in the Help documentation.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 04 '16, 10:19 a.m.

You can use add related artifact to link a work item to anything that has a stable HTTP based URI.

The point being here that there is no way to easily access one for a RTC component. So the enhancement request you should create would be to have such a URI and a way to get it.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.