It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Starting the RTC Build Engine from the Eclipse Client

Maria Amalan (784164) | asked Aug 19 '09, 6:55 a.m.
Hi,

As per the Information Center, there are a set of command line instructions on how to start the RTC Build Engine. Is there a way to start the build engine from the Eclipse or Web client?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 19 '09, 7:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Maria,

From the Eclipse Client as well as the Web Client you can request a build that is then performed by the build engine. You would not really start the build engine from the Eclipse or Web UI.

The build engine itself would be typically run as a process started just once when the machine it is running on starts. It sits there and polls for requests to build.

On a local machine you can start the build engine using a batch file. Again it would be waiting for a job to do, which is requesting a build.

Hope that makes sense,

Ralph

Hi,

As per the Information Center, there are a set of command line instructions on how to start the RTC Build Engine. Is there a way to start the build engine from the Eclipse or Web client?

permanent link
Maria Amalan (784164) | answered Aug 19 '09, 9:17 a.m.
Hi Ralph.. Thanks for your response...

Not sure if I got you right. Are you saying that all we have to do is request for a build and the Build engine will provide a solution when the machine that it running on starts? What has to be done to show that the build is ready? For understanding purpose, I am performing all these tasks directly in RTC and not with any external Build management tool.
Now I have requested for the build from Build Definition. The status of the build request is Pending. So what would I have to do to change the build status to Complete?
I am asking this with regard to the RTC / RQM Integration. What will be the status of the build request, for the build to be shown in RQM? And how do I show the build in that status?

Note: All the Cross-Server Communication settings have been already done.

Maria,

From the Eclipse Client as well as the Web Client you can request a build that is then performed by the build engine. You would not really start the build engine from the Eclipse or Web UI.

The build engine itself would be typically run as a process started just once when the machine it is running on starts. It sits there and polls for requests to build.

On a local machine you can start the build engine using a batch file. Again it would be waiting for a job to do, which is requesting a build.

Hope that makes sense,

Ralph

Hi,

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 19 '09, 10:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Maria,

here is some more information on it: https://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/features/build

You can run builds in Eclipse and use the eclipse build capabilities but if we talk about RTC build we really talk about a machine running a program that does the built concurrent to the user working in Eclipse.

Consequently the build specification most likely is different to the simple one that is used in Eclipse.

My summary of it is: you can have several machines that constantly run build engines. These machines basically wait for requests to build sent by users. Once they receive a request they start processing it. they download the required code from the Jazz SCM, run the build tools etc. On this machine the Jazz Build Engine as well as the Build System toolkit is required. In addition supporting software such as maybe ant, the eclipse commandline compiler compiler ECJ (because they do not run in an eclipse context), and whatever else you need. The build needs to be set up to work that way. E.g. you could start with a build.xml created by eclipse and enhance that to run junit etc.

The build engine feeds data and progress back to the jazz team server. Eventually you can see the result.

Provided you use the Jazz SCM you can run public as well as private builds. A private build runs against a private repository workspace. A public build can be sheduled and runs against a stream. Internally it runs also a repository workspace but can automatically accept changes.

Once a build has been requested and assuming a capable build engine is available the build engine will change the status from pending to somewhere else. Finally hopefully to build successful.

You dont have setup a build engine yet. Nothing will happen.

I believe you can see build results in RQM too and in fact you would run tests against build results.

Ralph

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.