It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to export all the requirements artifacts in a project area of DOORS NG formated as word or PDF files?

Manuel Felipe Amaya (1321527) | asked Jun 14 '16, 6:21 p.m.
edited Jun 14 '16, 6:22 p.m.
Hi,

Someone asked me to download every artifact in the repository so that they could be accessed with word or pdf.
This is a massive export of the contents of every artifact.

Another requirement is that the artifacts are needed to be organized in the same way as they were organized in the folder structure of the repository.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jun 14 '16, 8:53 p.m.

This requirement is a bit unusual. Why can't this "someone" log into DOORS NG and check the requirements there? I'm not aware of any features like that in DNG.

Daniel Moul commented Jun 15 '16, 7:16 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The low-cost Contributor license is designed for people who need to read (and maybe comment).

One answer

permanent link
Manuel Felipe Amaya (1321527) | answered Jun 15 '16, 9:57 a.m.
You both are right. Even though the person who is making this request has access to the artifacts in the repository, he wants the artifacts to also be available in a magnetic media, like an USB memory.

It is indeed a non usual requirement, however it let me to think what should I do if a client requested to change RDNG to other kind of repository? How can I download massively all documents in pdf or word formats to upload them in other repo?

If you know a way, please let me know.

Comments
Daniel Moul commented Jun 15 '16, 10:12 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I can think of four ways:

1. You can do an export via ReqIF. Create a view with all of the artifacts you care about, and export it. Of course you need a tool that understands ReqIF in order to do the import.

2. Create a view with all the artifacts you care about, and export to Excel or CSV. This will get text and attributes (but not diagrams and stuff like that).

3. Create a view with all the artifacts you care about, and print to MS Word. Of course this assumes the tool you want to import the data into  has a good Word importer.

4. Use an OSLC RM consumer custom application to query the repository and gather the data.  This would be more challenging to create, and there are likely to be various limitations for at least the diagrams.

For (1) through (3) you don't need to do everything in one view / one export (in fact for a large set of requirements data it might be more practical to do it in chunks).  For (2) and (3) you would loose the folder structure unless you export in chunks by folder.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.