It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem while creating new workitem with Plain java API

Akshay Panchakshari (37228) | asked Jun 01 '16, 6:38 a.m.
edited Jun 01 '16, 6:43 a.m.

I am following this link to create new work item using plain java API

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgrammaticWorkItemCreation

But I always get "category not found" when i try to create a work item (for example - Defect or Task etc).

I am passing com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType as category name while running the program because that is what it shows in RTC work item types list when i select defect or Task

Could you please advice on this?

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 01 '16, 7:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you carefully examine the example in the link you post you can see in the section Plain-Java Client how the category is passed as string (categoryName argument 6) . It is not the work item type - as that is also passed as string (typeIdentifier argument 4). The category is what shows in the UI as "filed against" and maintained as category in the project area administration. This is described in the section.

It is a hierarchical human readable string such as Team1/Testing

Akshay Panchakshari selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Akshay Panchakshari commented Jun 01 '16, 8:46 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply.So where can i find all the available categories in my Project area? I just need to pass one to make this program work.

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 01 '16, 9:05 a.m. | edited Jun 01 '16, 9:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In the project area administration in the Web UI or the Eclipse UI. You need basic RTC process administration skills/knowledge if you want to create extensions, automation or customize RTC. At least you should have someone you can ask for this kind of information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.