It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RDNG 6.01 Drag and Drop Linking Requirements Performance issue

Tony Kwa (20822) | asked May 15 '16, 9:49 p.m.
Can anybody please advise on how to make this work faster.  

We are doing a data conversion from a legacy system to RDNG6.  Req IF is not an option. so we have to re-create 1000's of links between requirements.

I had a couple of cunning plans to help the process.  Adding a serial counter between data entities so that I can reference between them quickly , and to use the drag and drop linking since  adding new links takes about 10 mouse clicks, search and confirmation prompts before RDNG will create a link.

The Drag and Drop Linking functionality would have been a great help if it worked efficiently. But NO...it take 15- 20 seconds to actually create a link.  It takes a fraction of a second to drag the Requirement between the two windows and then the 20 second wait for it to finish updating and refreshing the screen.   I have found that  setting the "Number of Records' to show down to a minimum (10)  helps a little but it is still in the 20 second range to do a single link.    This is unacceptable when there are 1200 links to be created.

Please advise.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered May 16 '16, 3:08 a.m.
It appears that there is something wrong with your environment. I did two tests but did not see anything like that.

In my local RDNG 6.0.1 environment, the whole process takes just over a second.

If I use the jazz.net sandbox (RDNG 6.0.2), which has terrible latency over the internet, it still takes just under 10 seconds to complete. The actual operation of adding links (POST links) just takes less than a second. Most of the time is spent on refreshing the view.

If you're not sure how to identify what causes the slowness, please contact Support.

permanent link
Koak Lodge (156110) | answered May 17 '16, 3:08 a.m.

If you're not using ReqIF or the DOORS Migration Packages then I would assume you're using CSV.

In the exports from your legacy tool, export the legacy ID of the records and the legacy IDs of the records to link to. Import these into DNG (this will only work in v6+).

Then export from DNG back to CSV and use Excel's VLOOKUP to replace the link legacy IDs with DNG IDs. Import these back to DNG as "update" and not "new".

Finally use the link by attribute functionality in DNG to create the links.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.