It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

German umlaut characters showing unreadable chars in RTC which is hosted in Linux

Manju Gowda (37110) | asked May 04 '16, 1:10 a.m.
edited May 05 '16, 12:34 a.m.
Hello All,

I have a scenario that my RTC plugin reads the attachment and get the content of it. That attachment csv file contains few German umlaut characters. I am setting these characters to HTML and String type Attributes via code.These characters working fine with the RTC which is hosted on windows machine but the same code is not working with RTC which is hosted on the Linux system.
I tried for encoding and decoding (UTF-8) but still it is not working.
Please help me with this problem.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 04 '16, 3:37 a.m.

Can you please elaborate what "not working" means? Does your code error out? Or the code runs but those characters get corrupted?

Manju Gowda commented May 04 '16, 5:16 a.m.

Hello Donald,

Yes, code is running but characters are corrupted. umlaut characters showing unreadable characters.

Donald Nong commented May 05 '16, 11:54 p.m.

Encoding in Java can be problematic at times. Decoding and re-encoding will make it ever worse. If you know that the characters in the source is correctly encoded, you probably just use byte[] to read it to avoid the conversion. Other than that, I don't have any better suggestions.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.