It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Search for parent artifact and get parent and child artifacts

randy golden (1112) | asked Apr 15 '16, 9:33 a.m.
Is there a way to search for a parent artifact and also get the children artifacts?  I have a module that consists of artifact groupings meaning there is an artifact that is a child to the module and also a parent to several artifacts.  The whole module may contain 20 - 300 of these groupings.  I want to be able to search for the parent and have the children artifacts follow so I can edit the text in the grouping of artifacts.  When I search, I only get the parent and not the children.  The only way I see this working is to create an attribute for the artifacts and put a unique identifier in the parent and children artifacts and filter on that unique ID.  This would be a data synchronization nightmare.

I'm using DOORS 6.0 and I'm accessing the data in requirements management.  The user flow would be the user would select a module and the artifcts would be displayed in book order for editing.  If there was a particular artifact grouping the user wanted to jump to, they would search/filter and jump to that grouping of artifacts.

Any ideas?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 18 '16, 3:15 a.m.
I think you used some interesting terms that made other confused. I believe you are talking about levels (headings and contents), not parent/child relationship. Note that in RDNG there is a pair of links called Child Of and Parent Of. If I understand your issue correctly, your question really is - in a module, how can you locate a high level artifact (heading)? To do this, you cannot use the view function (which is filtering, and why you cannot see "children"), or the quick search function (which gives you the base artifact, not the module artifact). What you need is the Module Find function as indicated below.

You can also use the Go To function (second tab in the prompt), if you know the section number. You can do it this way.
1. Choose Show 1 Level in the book view.
2. Scan through the filtered artifacts (they should all be headings) and locate the desired artifact.
3. Note down the section number.
4. Choose Show Full Hierarchy.
5. Use the Go to function to jump to the desired section.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
randy golden commented Apr 21 '16, 7:24 p.m. | edited Apr 21 '16, 11:26 p.m.

That is exactly what I wanted.  I thought that did the same thing as the search at the top.  Should have tried it I guess.  Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.